What next???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What next???

I just bought a '84 Crew Cab W350. It has a 360 4spd. I was driving it home on Saturday, and all of the sudden my radio quit, then it lite up real brite and poof with a cloud of smoke. A few seconds later the truck dies and there I sit alone the road. I opended the hood and there is the battery spouting like old faithful! It was a yellow top Optima battery.
    Luckily for me there was a small car dealership just up the road, and he had a used battery that he gave me. I installed the battery and she turned right over, but no spark.

So tonight I changed the obivous, the coil and ballast resistor and still no spark. The lights, windshield wipers, interior lights, all work. Heater fan isn't working, but I am not to sure it was working real great before the incident.

What should I change next? ECM?

Thanks,
    Mac

PS: I had the altenator checked and it is fine, so not sure if it was just a bad battery or what?

Dead on arrival

Did you replace the voltage regulator?

What are you getting off of the alternator?

Comment

Sounds like toast, better let me take it off your hands for you...

Seriously though, what about the fusible links? Usually they include some accessories like the radio though so that may not be the case. Jump a hot wire from the battery to the ignitions source on the firewall (bypass fusable link). If you have spark its the fuse (or smoke, remember that you bypassed the fuse and the short may still exist...).

But I'd check the regulator first like Renedy said.

Is this truck blue by chance?
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

It ended up being the ECM. It is up and running now. Now I just need to go through the fuse box, because I lost my taillights and turn signals.

KRB- Yes it is blue.
        Attached Files

Comment

Glad you got it going. Never leave home in a mopar without a spare ballast resistor, voltage regulator and ECM!

There was a truck real similar to yours advertised here a while back in central Indiana but the fellow never responded :(
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
          X