Rust patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty

In the NE the areas that seem (no pun intended) to be problem areas are, above the windshield at the drip gutter seam on the roof, radiator core support, lower fenders behind the wheel wells and rocker panels / lower doors. As to why they rust above the windshield is beyond me, as for all the lower stuff Salt Salt and more Salt is the culprit here.

Comment

Some states use Calcium Chloride- a liquid solution that is just murder on steel. Maybe they'll wise up when they replace plow trucks at $75k each on an accelerated schedule. It appears to actually soak into the pores of the steel and dissolve it like acid. I think the plan is to make money off vehicle registrations due to quicker rustout of people's cars...

Comment

Originally posted by maineSS View Post
        Some states use Calcium Chloride- a liquid solution that is just murder on steel. Maybe they'll wise up when they replace plow trucks at $75k each on an accelerated schedule. It appears to actually soak into the pores of the steel and dissolve it like acid. I think the plan is to make money off vehicle registrations due to quicker rustout of people's cars...

When it comes down to it, I think calcium is being used about everywhere, especially in the NE. It's pretty nasty stuff alright. I'm glad we don't see much of it here in SW-MO. It sure keeps the car wash business hopping!

Comment

rust

Most of what I see here in Indiana is above the windsheild in the rain gutter, below the door rocker panels and under the wheel moldings, esp the wider black plastic ones. I currently have clear coat and paint, silver-gray peeling on my 91 which has caused some surface rust on the top of the cab and the hood.

Comment

rust

Most of the ones i've seen here have the drivers side front fender rusted out. My 76 that's been repainted is rusted thru at the same fender, below the back glass, and at the top drip edge like others said. Casey

Comment

Working...
            X