1988 w250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 w250

Still on the hunt and am going tomorrow to look at this. 360, auto, carb, under 100k,

has A/C but has leak, good tires, leafs good, shock housings rotted, some chassis scale,

some surface rust on l/s door bottom, dent in l/s door and r/r bed side, all glass good, entire drivetrain good,

tear in drivers side bench, headliner and carpet ok, dash lights inop but all gauges work,

has a radio, all exterior lights work, exhaust leak at manifold gaskets, heater and fan work,

bed in good shape but missing tailgate, needs tank straps, tank and sending unit good.

How difficult is it to get new tank straps. This has a plastic tank? How big is it?

What else should I look out for besides floor and cab mount rot? Owner says I can road test. Thanks.

Nothing special as far as inspecting it. Look at wear on brake components, steering & all u-joints. Are tires wearing even, does it track straight down the road? Has it been "off-roaded/abused", etc?

Some members here have tried to sell similar trucks & couldn't get $1000 out of them. Other times they sell for over 2 grand. Just depends on the individual truck & the area I guess.

Besides rust/paint, electronics/sensors etc are the most problematic area of the late 80's trucks. The actual engine/transmission/t-case/axles are themselves fairly solid. Again how the previous owners used/maintained them is a bigger factor than how they were built.

Bucky

Comment

Well I'm still on the hunt. Went to see it and found the frame had severe rot in under the cab on the left side. Floors were gone. All tires worn out and worn un-evenly, no A/C owner told me it had but was inop. This thing is at the end of its useable life. Told him its good for parts cause too far gone to pass state inspection. So I go around the block on my way out and I spy a silver Power Ram 1 block over. Its even a W250 just like what I just left. Then I see this dude appear outa nowhere. He sees me looking and flags me down to tell me this is his new ride. Yeah cause your other one is too dangerous to drive down the block. He knew and still BS'd me even when I asked him on the phone. Oh well-wasn't meant to be. Thats OK cause I really wanted a club cab.

Comment

heres a 1991 W350 in real nice shape with a bad tranny / its on craigs list in southern VT

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/1684415906.html

Comment

Working...
        X