Fuel filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter question

Can anyone tell me what modifications I would have to do with respect to the fuel lines on my 1988 3/4 ton pickup?? There are three lines that run back to the sending unit.. I want to get rid of the factory style fuel filter.. it has an in/out and return port and replace it with a regular in/out style. the truck has a carburator and is not EFI..will I also have to use a vented type gas tank cap? I should also add that I removen all of the pollution control crap so thats not an issue..

I don't know what "legal" but I generally scrap as much smog crap as possibly. You can remove all that return fuel vapor bologney. Have one line from the tank to the pump to the carb. I'd have an inline filter between pump & carb. Vented gas cap should be good, also there may be an extra unused outlet port on the top of tank. A vent hose here, similar to what some axle housings have, ain't a bad idea.

What is the factory style filter on an 88?

Bucky

Comment

re:filter

It looks just like a regular line in / line out but also has a stub on its side that is connected to a fuel return line that goes back to the tank..I just wanted to know if by capping that line back to the tank and using a regular in/out filter would it work with no problems..I have a service manual but it really does not detail what the 3 lines coming out of the tank to the carb do..it just says one is a fuel supply, one is a fuel return and one is a vapor line to a charcoal cannister..

Comment

the THIRD nipple on the fuel filter l just plug / or just use a straight thru filter / you dont hafta do anything with the lines or the gas cap

for your info / the third nipple is an emissions thing tied into the charcoal canister to return gas fumes back to the tank

Comment

Thanks, my service manual says that one of the three lines from the tank goes directly into the charcoal cannisters to pick up the vapors, I know the other one supplies fuel to the carb but they call the 3rd nipple on the fuel filter a gas return line..why would fuel be returning to the tank on a carburated engine??I'm just thinking that if it actually does return fuel to the tank then will it build up too much pressure in the carburator??

Comment

Working...
          X