Reverse Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Gear

I have a 1977 Power wagon 4x4 that has a 360 in it with an automatic trans. It drives fine but reverse gear does not work at all. Anybody else have this problem? Is this a major fix? Thanks all.

every auto I have had go south on me always lost reverse first but the good news is that I have heard that the 727 is one of the cheapest transmissions to rebuild and they usually last

Comment

theres two things that could of gone wrong with yours / the reverse band broke or the one-way clutch failed / either one means your in for a complete rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
        theres two things that could of gone wrong with yours / the reverse band broke or the one-way clutch failed / either one means your in for a complete rebuild
        Is there a rebuild kit I can get from some where ( Napa ect....? ) or is it better to have it done at a transmission shop?

Comment

tranny kits can be had anywere and the 727 is a easy tranny to rebuild IF you have the "snap press" to change the seals / without it its almost impossible to do

NOTE / l,ve seen people use threaded rod with large washers and angle iron welded together as a press

Comment

Originally posted by DODGEBOYS View Post
            tranny kits can be had anywere and the 727 is a easy tranny to rebuild IF you have the "snap press" to change the seals / without it its almost impossible to do

NOTE / l,ve seen people use threaded rod with large washers and angle iron welded together as a press
            My truck is 77 Power wagon 4x4, is the tranny still a 727? Thanks

Comment

i would think it would be a 727 can't think of another auto that would be in there I am sure somebody will be along shortly to shoot holes in that theory though

Comment

Originally posted by Daewoo10356 View Post
                i would think it would be a 727 can't think of another auto that would be in there I am sure somebody will be along shortly to shoot holes in that theory though
                I have that happen alot when I use the words "never", "only" or "always" when discussing mopar.

To my knowledge the 4x4 autos were all 727's up until the overdrives came out.

Bucky

Comment

yup it would be a 727 all day / unless by chance it had a 904 but unlikely / even if it did have the 904 its the same as a 727 with smaller internals / the 904 is a light duty slant six - 318 tranny

Comment

transmixer

77, do not be scared to tear into the trans, 727 is the easy one to rebuild out of the big three. lay parts out in the order that they come out of the trans to keep them straight. (is this your first time?) whether you take the transfer case out by it'sself or with the trans depends on the equipment you have on hand. there is only six bolts that hold the transfer case to the trans so thats easy. the first time I did this I was recasing a small block 727 trans into a rb block case, worked very well for the next 90,000 miles. try to have a friend that knows about 727's that you can call. the thing that got to me the first time was the terminoligy. go thru the book first to find out what the names of the parts are. that will help more than any thing you do. if you need help post up and there is enough people to help you get thru it with out a great gnashing of teeth. Dave.

Comment

Working...
                    X