gas guzzler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas guzzler

I've been driving my 91 quite a bit since I changed the radiator and its been running cooler. Now that its good in that dept I need to address gas usage.

Lately I've only been able to get about 130 miles on a little over 1/2 a tank of gas. 318 auto reg cab 4x4 with 3.55 gears and 225x15 tires.

My guess is, some time back I put a new 180 stat in it. I think it should probably have a 195 stat. Would that 15 degrees diff in temp cause the comp to run rich thinking the motor was still cold??
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 05-04-2010, 04:29 PM.

Could be. Exactly how much gas is "1/2 a tank"? What kind of numbers are you getting & is this city or highway?

Bucky

Comment

Well I filled up and figured the usage and I'm getting about 10-11 mpg, not very good for a 1/2 ton. I checked the plugs, they seem to be burning pretty good though it does have nw14s in it while its suppose to have 12s. Nothing appears to be hot after driving, indicating maybe somethings not meshing properly. It even has a true lockout front end which should have helped the gas milage.

Comment

on the 1988 to 91 trucks with TBI fuel injection the biggest fuel robber is the injectors them selfs / you can check the spray pattern with a timing light / it should be a fine CONE shape / if theres any gaps or bribbles in the spray you,ll lose milage / when was the last time the O2 sensor in the left exhaust manifold was changed / also the MAP sensor in the throttle body / it reads manifold vacuum and Barometric pressure / if its not reading the exact baro were you live it can make the truck run either lean or rich

Comment

Working...
        X