78 Power Wagon Emissions problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 Power Wagon Emissions problems

New power wagon owner here. 78 200 4x4 club cab w/440. Watched these posts for a while deciding and waiting to find one. Old story, found one with nice body and worked 440. Problem: truck was being built as a mid west puller. I am in Penn. For a 78, they don't test emissions output, but everything has to be there for a visual check. I am welding in cat converters and floor pans, but any advice on finding the following: EGR, EVAP canister, spark control, fuel evap system.

Real shame, truck sounds and looks good under hood

keep it the way it is

try and get some special plates. jersey has "QQ" plates that get around all sorts of regs.

Comment

78 Power Wagon Emissions problems

In Pennsylvania, you can get exempt if you prove less than 5k miles per year. For the first inspection for new owner, you need all the original equipment. Is a parts truck my only hope?

Comment

parts are out there

between this site and ramcharger central, somebody is ripping emissions stuff out of a truck to boost performance. Its a shame you have to castrate your truck to pass inspection.

Comment

78 power wagon

Dear 78, none of that junk was on your truck when it was new. reg.s went into effect for cars in 1977 but not the trucks until 79, and even at that only the half ton models. the 3/4 and 1 tons were exempt for a few years after that, so if your state has a grandfather rule you are pretty much good to go!! 78 was the last year for the unmolested trucks. my 78 (bought brand new) had a egr and thats all!! good luck with your truck, I still want mine back! Dave.

Comment

emissions parts

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
            between this site and ramcharger central, somebody is ripping emissions stuff out of a truck to boost performance. Its a shame you have to castrate your truck to pass inspection.
            Thanks 74w300, I had the same thought. i recieved another post that these items might not have been installed originally. The Haynes book only lists all the crap for 78' (440) for a California model? If I can figure it out, then i can argue w/state. i can't find any info about a grandfather clause either.

If i can figure out how to post pics, i will. Could'nt be happier driving a PW again.

Comment

emissions parts

Originally posted by pwdave View Post
              Dear 78, none of that junk was on your truck when it was new. reg.s went into effect for cars in 1977 but not the trucks until 79, and even at that only the half ton models. the 3/4 and 1 tons were exempt for a few years after that, so if your state has a grandfather rule you are pretty much good to go!! 78 was the last year for the unmolested trucks. my 78 (bought brand new) had a egr and thats all!! good luck with your truck, I still want mine back! Dave.
              Thanks pwdave. i can't find any info bout grandfather clause. I am trying to find something official that gives what parts were on it from factory. Some of the repair manuals (Haynes), only list all the parts for a 78' as california model.

Comment

pollution junk

78, mexifornia was the only different state. they required some different stuff from the rest of the country. the reason you can't find the listings in any book is the parts don't exist for that year! if you don't live in california your good to go! there was no cats but there was the single exaust. your state may require you to put the single exaust on to pass, but I don't see how they can require something that wasn't on the truck to begin with. Dave.

Comment

possible pollution castration

78, mexifornia was the only different state. they required some different stuff from the rest of the country. the reason you can't find the listings in any book is the parts don't exist for that year! if you don't live in california your good to go! there was no cats but there was the single exaust. your state may require you to put the single exaust on to pass, but I don't see how they can require something that wasn't on the truck to begin with. Dave.
                  Thanks Dave. Getting all info together, then start arguing. I have fixed the exhaust, 1 wheel bearing, windshield wiper motor, washer, horn, reverse lights, window regulators, door seals and turn signals. Gonna start welding in floor pans next week. From reading all the posts, I've done the normal repairs so far. Thanks for info

Comment

front wheel bearings

78, when you move to the front diff. to grease the wheel bearings, do not put the grease in till it squirts out the back. if you get grease out the back of the hub it means that the seals have been pushed out, grease runs out on ground and you will lose your front wheel bearings, lots of trouble to change, not hard, just a lot of trouble. pump the grease gun until it feels just barely firm, then STOP. good luck, you will find that you have a great truck. Dave.

Comment

Don't know if it applies, but believe he is fortunate enough to have a Dana 60 front.

Bucky

Comment

78 Power wheel bearings

78, when you move to the front diff. to grease the wheel bearings, do not put the grease in till it squirts out the back. if you get grease out the back of the hub it means that the seals have been pushed out, grease runs out on ground and you will lose your front wheel bearings, lots of trouble to change, not hard, just a lot of trouble. pump the grease gun until it feels just barely firm, then STOP. good luck, you will find that you have a great truck. Dave.
                        Dave Good tip I have enough to repair/upgrade without causing issues myself. Is over-greasing an issue for both 44's and 60's?

Comment

front end

78, if you do not have lock-outs on the front(full time 4x4) it will apply, if it has lock-outs I "think" not sure, I believe it has to be torn down to pack the bearings. If it is a full timer, do not change, it's great the way it is. you have the heavy duty transfer case and as long as you keep it full of the right juice it will last a very long time. Dave.

Comment

78power,
                            A dana 60 front from the full time era will have drive flanges. Those are the plates held to the hub with 8 bolts. Inside is cotter pin, spindle nut(s) and 2 sets of bearings, inner & outer. Very similar set-up to just about any spindle/hub assembly. Remove the brake caliper to get the hub/rotor assembly off. I believe there is no grease fitting, just got to pack them the old fashion way. If you suspect your axle u-joints are worn it might not be a bad idea just to do everything all at once.

Also at some point you may want to replace the flexible brake hoses if they are original. Even if the outside looks good, the inner walls make be cracked which might let the hose expand under pressure, lessening braking effectiveness. Also your master cylinder is not the same as a truck with a 44 front end.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                            X