door pins and bushings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• door pins and bushings...

Just got done taking off the door to replace the pins and bushings on a 1977 w200.

got the top done with no problem, but I cant get the bushings into the bottom hinge, and after looking at the other side I can't tell if there is any in there.

so now I am wondering if I got the right kit, or if the bushings only go on the top hinge ?

the lower bushings go on the body side hinge

Comment

That's what I thought, but I cant get them in the hinge. The pin fits in the ID of the bushing, but the OD of the bushing seems to be to big to fit in the hinge.

In the kit I got from Advanced, All 4 bushings are the same and the pin ODs are the same.

It there a trick to it besides using a BFH ?

Comment

to my understanding the kit is wrong. I do not think that dodge ever intended for the bottom hinge to be rebuild-able. I am in the middle of rebuilding my hinges. I ended up drilling out the bottom hinge where the bushings should go with a "Z" drill bit. This makes it just undersized to press in the bushings. the next thing i did was file out the opening of the outer part of the hinge the one with the rollers to just barely fit over the shoulder of the bushings. I gave up on the 2nd one and gave it to my buddy to machine the opening bigger. I think i would be really easy to do with one of those air powered mini belt sanders. it was just easier for me to have my buddy machine them.
        Hopefully this works. let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

I knew something was up, I gave up on the deal and just put the top bushings in.

The bottom I left as is, I am sure it will not last long....

Comment

Is this just a problem with the older trucks? I just bought a kit for my 84 crew, because the front hinges are shot. The kit was for 1981-93 trucks, so after reading this, I am hoping the earlier hinges were different.

Mac

Comment

My truck is a 1978, i am not sure if the newer ones will work or not. I havent looked at them to see how they are built

Comment

Working...
              X