anyone do a BB nv4500 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone do a BB nv4500 setup

heard of some guys doing nv 4500s in big block chrysler/jeep/and chevy applications. is anyone familiar with this and if so how much of a pain is it for our trucks?

i am not sure how well they fit. i know they are beefy transmissions. also not sure what bellhousings will fit or if you have to go with one off of something like an old V10 gas truck.

seems like it would be nice to have the strength and extra gear versus a 4speed.

thanks guys.

I think that is what Frank Irons did in his M37. Perhaps he will be along in a while to comment....

Frank, are you out there???
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

bump. sorry guys, just want to get the facts before i dive in deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        I think that is what Frank Irons did in his M37. Perhaps he will be along in a while to comment....

Frank, are you out there???
        Sorry for not paying attention Mr. Maney!

I have a small block LA 360 with the MV4500 in my truck. Every thing is factory parts(first time I ever had the luxury of a bolt together drivetrain). The bellhousing would be the issue with the BB setup. I don't know if the BB truck bellhousing could be adapted for the NV bolt pattern, or perhaps even the car bellhousing. In either case, input shaft length, clutch operating mechanics, and bolt patterns have to be considered. The other option is to use a race safety bellhousing(scattershield) that could act as an adapter.
        First thing I would do would be to check with Advance Adapters to see if they offer anything.

Frank

Comment

Try this.

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/wwwbo...s/3300027.html

Comment

There will be an article covering this man's project in the Power Wagon Advertiser.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Frank

Will the LA 360 bellhousing fit on a 1966 poly 318? And does your type of bellhousing have the same motor mount pads as my original 1966 bell?

Comment

The later bellhousing has no mounts and it is aluminum. I don't believe it will mate up with your engine.

Frank

Comment

I am currently in the middle of my bb conversion as well as a 4wd conversion. I have installed a nv4500 behind my bb. It was a headache.

I bought a 74 that the previous owner had installed it behind a sb. He did a good job, but took some short cuts that i needed to fix to bolt it up behind my bb. The biggest issue that i faced was my nv4500 came out of a chevy. not sure what chevy but it is a 2wd tranny.

the previous owner had drilled and tapped the mounting bolts in the transmission case where the stock dodge bolts up. That was the beginning of the head ache. I used a stock cast bell housing. i ended up having to machine the mounting holes to accept a allen head style bolt to bolt the bell housing to the tranny.

The biggest issue was them input shaft. with the chevy it was too short to mate with the back of the crank. the previous owner had machined a piece of steel to go in the back of the crank there the snub of the torque converter sits. then from there i had to machine a piece of bronze for the pilot bearing. basically bringing the crank to the transmission.

the last hurdle to get over was the throw out bearing. being that it was a chevy transmission they have a different id the the dodges id on the bearing. I ended up using a stock chevy shift fork on the inside of the bell housing and a stock dodge shift fork on the out side of the bell housing. i cut them in half and welded them together. I did have to machine the bell housing to accept the mounting stud for the chevy shift fork and i had to lengthen that as well to have that work.

Hopefully that will give you an idea. it took about a month to get everything figured out and fixed. I haven't driven the truck because i am restoring the cab while i have had this off. let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

Working...
                  X