Woops 727 (wiped out??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woops 727 (wiped out??)

I know the 727 Torqueflight is a tough tranny, but I may have done mine in for its final dirt nap. The PU is an 86 W250 w/ 360 and the snow fighter package available in that era. It has plowed snow, small commercial type jobs for 24 years, and has gotten a few band adjustments, filters and fluid changes (odo: 62,000 mi). Yesterday I was using the PU to bring fuel to service one of our tractors 1/4 mile away, so it never even got above 20 mph, and was a cold start. So I got on a somewhat steep slope (4x4 engaged), and take care of the tractor. Evidently the off roading caused the frame to twist or flex a bit, and a steel tranny cooler line cracked off a kinda big rust pimple. I did not know it was pumping out tranny fluid until I tried to back away from the tractor, it wouldn't move, so I chained the tractor to the W250 and pulled it up the slope backwards with motor running at normal idle. Other guy was driving the tractor, so this was not a solo act. When we got to the top of the slope, I could see the oil puddle and oil trail in the dirt.

No problem, I had 1 1/2 qts of tranny fluid and the funnel stashed behind the seat for such events. (It's a farm truck!!). So I put them in the tranny fill pipe figuring that that was probably enough to get Old Blue and me home the 1/4 mile. At that moment it would back up and go forward, but was not the usual positive engagement of gears. I was able to drive without excessive engine RPM, but knew there was some slippage. We got it home to the yard at which time it would not move any further. It had a distinct HOT smell (but I found tranny oil had been squirting on the exhaust crossover and the left frame rail). So the heat and smell could have been from the oil bathing the exhaust pipe (no doubt!!) but also maybe from the tranny itself.

Now your turn in this saga.....did I destroy the tranny, or will it run again without OH. I have not had time today to replace the cracked cooler line (lower one of the 2 lines) and try adding oil to see if it will work. Did I fry the clutch pack, or will it likely survive one of these serious transgressions? I have never run a tranny low on oil before, so I have no idea of its tolerance for such harsh treatment. It will be a couple of days before I can get under its rusty belly and replace the line, so help me out of the suspense. Did I kill it, or is it worth the likely 8 quarts of oil and a new steel line??

Thanks for your thoughts and replys!

Paul in MN

I honestly think that if you fix the line, replace the fluid, you will be back in business. I'm not saying that you didn't do damage, but I believe it will still work. The fact that you were apparently on an incline & losing fluid just starved the pick-up. If you didn't run it but for a moment like this & the tranny inself didn't get hot (you should have felt of it at the time maybe), you may be lucky.

Drain the tranny. If that fluid is obviously burnt, then you might have boo-booed.....Otherwise, service it & see how she runs.

Bucky

Comment

Bucky,

You know,.... you are right. I hadn't even thought of dropping the pan... not much oil to loose at this point in time. I'm sure the survival chances are better if I get whatever junk there may be out of there and give it a new filter and band adjustment while I'm in there.

Thanks for the good ideas.

Paul in MN

Comment

Ok,kid stalled the camper special at a stop sign.Got it running did a neutral drop,sheared off BOTH motor mounts and the pressure line fitting at the trans.Then drove it one mile plus 'till it quit.Fixed the mounts fixed the line topped off the fluid,thing ran for months...shifted perfect....then he wrecked it.727's can take a lot.But on the other hand,he is his FFA Chapters newest President.

Comment

Had our staff "mechanic" replace the 727 in the 76 W200. Assumed he put fluid in it. He didn't. Ran it that way for probably 80 miles or more. Couldn't figure out why it didn't want to accelerate. Filled it with fluid and put about a thousand miles since. Works fine.
          David

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words. Because of our hay cutting schedule and equipment repair priorities, I have not done anything with the W250 yet. But from what you guys say, I will probably be successful in saving it. Unfortunately the bottom of the cab has so much rust that it has settled down on the frame, so fixing the tranny, and now rusted through power steering hoses, and the halfway fallen gas tank (steel straps rusted through), has made the "mission creep" job of just fixing and seeing if the tranny works into a bigger job. When I do get it done and tested, I'll report back with the (hopefully positive) results.

Thanks guys!!

Paul in MN

Comment

She runs!!

It has been quite a while since we had this discussion, but I did say that I'd report back with the results.

Following the advice of forum members, I did drop the tranny pan, changed the filter and adjusted the first/reverse band. There was very little crud in the pan...rather good news. I did replace the section of steel cooler line that had rusted badly and had spurted out the red oil. Brake line tubing in the 5/16" diam works just fine.

Since completion of this task and repairing a few other vexing problems related to rust in the fuel system, she has been successfully plowing snow, and working harder than ever before. The last snow plow job required tire chains on all 4 wheels. I have never pushed it that hard before. She's still earning her keep!!

Thanks for the encouragement when I needed it!!

Paul in MN

Comment

Glad it's a going!!!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                X