W cab same as D cab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W cab same as D cab?

I've found a few good cabs fairly close by but they are "D" series cabs. Are they interchangable (I've never owned a two wheel drive...)?

Is it as simple as bolting my transmission hump onto the new cab? Do they have the provision for the 4x4 loc & low loc light in the dash?

Thanks,
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
    I've found a few good cabs fairly close by but they are "D" series cabs. Are they interchangable (I've never owned a two wheel drive...)?

Is it as simple as bolting my transmission hump onto the new cab? Do they have the provision for the 4x4 loc & low loc light in the dash?

Thanks,
    I don't own a W cab, but I have left my fingerprints on quite a few. I do own a D200 and a RamCharger.

It appears to me the engine sits higher in a 4x4 and the "hump" is higher. I expect it's to accomodate the front axle.

As far as I can tell, the rest is the same. When I had my 2WD dash apart I noted the dash pannel had all the 4x4 labeling and holes for bulbs. There were a number of dangling plugs in there. Since everything works in mine, I expect it's the same wiring harness as a 4x4. You never know, but I would expect if you're willing to move some sheet metal around on the floor it'll work.

I'd bet money someone else on here has actually done it.

Comment

Here is what I know about the 61-71 cabs. The 100 and 200 cabs are the same, and the 300 cabs and above are the same.

The 300 and above cab sits higher on the frame. The engines are mounted at the same height, to use your term. There is a valence below the grill on the larger trucks that is not present on the 100 and 200 trucks.

Now I will guess, and I suspect someone will come along later. I doubt there is any difference between a D200 and a W200 cab, other than the removable part of the floor pan to accommodate shift levers.

Now let's see who comes along.....
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

the 1972 to 1993 D & W cabs are indeed different but the differences are in the FLOOR / from the rocker panels up all the cabs are the same

l,m a little sketchy on the 72 to 79,s but this l know about the 80 to 93,s
        you cant put an auto D cab on a W 4x4 without a body lift / the auto D cab does not have the hump under the PASS seat for the t-case / but you can put a 4-speed D cab on a W 4x4 because the 4-speed D cab has the t-case hump even if its two-wheel drive

Comment

I am in the middle of doing this...swapping a D200 cab for a W200 cab and at this point I am hoping it is just a matter of pulling the D200 seat out, laying the trans hump on the floor over top of the smaller trans tunnel of the D200 and tracing it out to cut out and done. But, I have not pulled the seat in the D200 cab yet to verify whether the floor is shaped the same or if I will have to cut out a bunch of the W200 floor to swap into the D200 floor. I have been contemplating a body lift to clear the tc instead but everyone i have spoken to about it warned me not to do that becuase it is a hassle. I am certain that the rest of the cab is the same even though the D is a '73 and the W is a '76. The dash is somewhat different but I would bet they are interchangeable as well.

Comment

Hmmm, sounds like some hassle for these D100 auto cabs. May just keep searching, my feet don't drag the ground yet...
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
            X