Did it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did it again

I've got to quit buying trucks. 73 W300, 318, 4 speed, 70's front and rear, runs, drives and stops. That's about all I know about it now. I'll get it home tomorrow and see what I got.

Dennis
    Attached Files

Great looking beast. I've always considered W-300's to be pretty rare. Fill us in on other details when time allows.
    Craig

Comment

Smooth move! That one looks really nice and in good shape. Waiting for more...
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

keep up the good work

Save as many of these brutes as we can. Oh yeah... Dana 70's front and rear. has a nice ring to it.

Comment

Got it home

It's a good tight truck, somebody spent big bucks on it not to long ago.

Other than the engine, I couldn't find anything that needed attention right now.

The engine is a 360, not a 318 as advertused, it seems tight, carries good oil pressure and dosen't smoke, but it has 2 dead cylinders, #3 and #6, only 40 lbs. compression in those 2, the rest are good. It's probably valves so I'll stick a different motor in it untill I can tear it down and make sure it's worth redoing the heads. 4.88 gears and 120,000 miles, the engine might not have to much life left in it without a major rebuild.

Norm's not around much anymore, but he would be proud of me. The easyest engine I have to stick in it is a 318 poly, gotta love the poly. It won't be original, but it should be interesting.

More later,

Dennis

Comment

I like it.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I want one.
              Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                I want one.
                Trucks are tools - I'm sure nobody here will argue against that. Thus, being a tool, to properly utilize the tool and adequately perform work, we should have one of every configuration for the job to be performed. No proper craftsman should drive around just in a hammer or screwdriver only...

There, I justified one for you :)
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

thats alot of work to drop an OLD school 318 poly in were a more modern 360 LA was / l,ll give you a good running 318 [87K] if you come and get it

NICE truck by the way

Comment

poly

The sweptline era (not power giant) 318 poly is a bolt in if you have the right flywheel. The only thing that won't bolt up is the exhaust system. bell housing bolts up, motor mounts (need 318LA not 360) bolt up, pilot bushing the same, all bolt on accessories bolt from one to the other, throttle cable mount from the cable controlled poly's will accept the cable from the 73, leave the distributor with the truck and keep the electronic, shroud on the radiator lines right up. It's not any tougher than replacing a 360 with a 318LA. There really aren't any differences.

Stroke a poly with a reground 360 crank and a healthy over bore and you can go to 402 cubic inches. Some have even gone as far as putting poly heads on an LA engine, but for the amount of machine work I don't see the point.

The early poly engines based on the hemi's would be a major task, but the "A" engine which became the "LA" is easy, as I said, it's basically the same engine.

You are a little to far away to take you up on the 318, there is a 360 4 miles down the road with about that many miles on it. I passed on it, I know what my poly is, I built it.

Dennis

Comment

plan have changed

I found a good (heard it run) 360 so I will using that instead of the poly.

Problems sometimes come in sets of three, I hope trucks don't. I can't afford much more but did buy this one.

Some of you may have noticed it on Ebay.

The 73 is to nice to use for a farm truck and the 78 may be the same. So I might still be looking for a backup for the Cummins. I am amazed how often you wish you had 2. The flatbed, the stock trailer, farm wagons, they all need to go somewhere and hooking and unhooking is a pain in the rear. Never enough trucks. But beating up good classic Dodge iron is not for me. I need to find a "good" klunker and keep the nice stuff nice and close to original.

Dennis
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by iranch View Post
                        But beating up good classic Dodge iron is not for me. I need to find a "good" klunker and keep the nice stuff nice and close to original.

Dennis
                        Thats what I try and do. The M880 that came to me out of a junk yard already had plenty of dents and rust. I use it all over the farm for everything. Plus it usually goes to town when theres snow or an ice storm - not only does the full time make it excellent for this but I'm not worried about folks sliding into me either (I was in NAPA afew years back and looked outside only to see the M880 shake off mud like a dog shakes off water, I said "it looks like somebody just hit me". Sure enough, a van had cut too soon out of the parking space and snagged the door lip on the rear stock bumper. It peeled it back all the way to the grill including their headlight. All the damage I had was less dirt stuck to her.)

The B-3 sits in the barn until the winch is needed or maybe an ocassional check of the cows or firewood gathering. The CTD waits until its time to haul cattle hay or anything else. If its not hooked to a trailer (cattle, hay, boat, etc) or something in the bed it usually doesn't move. Although it is the preferred Drive-in vehicle and ocassionally for camping :).

I have an '89 Corolla that does all my running around. Hard to beat 30+ mpg if all you're doing is going from point A to B. Plus we have a '96 Camry wagon with all the bells and whistles that is the family vehicle and for trips etc.

Like I said, vehickles are tools. You need the right one for every purpose. And my tool box is by no means complete...
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
                          Trucks are tools - I'm sure nobody here will argue against that. Thus, being a tool, to properly utilize the tool and adequately perform work, we should have one of every configuration for the job to be performed. No proper craftsman should drive around just in a hammer or screwdriver only...

There, I justified one for you :)
                          this is great going to have to print it out for the wife

Comment

Good luck, mine doesn't totally get it. I only have 3 that are licensed, the others just for parts. Maybe if you equate it to shoes or purses or longaburger baskets or something...
                            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                            X