Dana 60 Swap to a 44.....70's -82 vintage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 60 Swap to a 44.....70's -82 vintage

I am trying to swap a Dana 44 front from an 82 3/4 ton truck to a 73ish truck that had a dana 60, however the pitman arm or the steering rod is clocked wrong. The Dana 60 pitman arm & rod connect horisontily...... The 44 & its arm should connect verticly....STupid me I didn't swipe the steering box out of the 82......
    Is there a different pitman arm to get????

If my memory serves me correct I remember some years of these trucks used a 90 deg bracket to change the location of the steering box.... but I thought it was a 2wd to 4wd difference.

Help I want this truck running, the other 1/2 is gonna kick my but if I don't get it out of the yard...

Thanks
    V10

I have a 2 different 78's that have different styles of steering boxes and drag links. they both have dana 44's one has the steering box that im guessing the 80s style truck has there the output of the gear box points to the ground. the other truck has a box where the output is pointing towards the fender. I would imagine Napa would have a drag link for this style of box. hopefully this link works, I think this is what you are after
    http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...19_0191458558#

If not the napa part number is NCP 2721019
    Hopefully this helps

Comment

theres two styles of mounting

#1 old style CRADLE mount / the steering box sits in a cast iron cradle and is "reverse" rotation with the pitman shaft pointing at the fender and the pitman arm pointing down

# 2 new style PLATE mount / the steering box is mount to a steel plate bolted to the frame / "normal" rotation and the pitman shaft points down and the pitman arm points to the fender

Comment

How did your swap go?

Originally posted by V10nacuda View Post
        I am trying to swap a Dana 44 front from an 82 3/4 ton truck to a 73ish truck that had a dana 60, however the pitman arm or the steering rod is clocked wrong. The Dana 60 pitman arm & rod connect horisontily...... The 44 & its arm should connect verticly....STupid me I didn't swipe the steering box out of the 82......
        Is there a different pitman arm to get????
        I have a '74 W300 (actually it was a B-body made into a fire truck brush buggy and recabbed as a pickup and is now a dump truck) I also have a '75 HD W200. The W300 has Dana 70s front and rear and an LA360 - the W200 has a 44 with disks and full time 4x4 and a 440 with a recent rebuild. I'm thinking of doing a swap similar to yours (60s and 70s are about the same thing). Of course I have the steering box from the W200 and everything available to me. How'd it go? Problems?

Comment

Working...
        X