84 Crew,comin'along nicely

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 Crew,comin'along nicely

Completed the rear brakes\bearings this week and starting on the front. Any secrets on greasing the front 60 so I don't miss anything[pressing bearings or hidden zerks etc ?]
    NAPA seems to be able to get everything that I have needed so far.
    Sanding out the hundreds of scratches and a few minor dents & paint will be the last thing to do.
    How about tighting up the slack Dodge steering, I will rebuild the Pot Coupler, but what else will help it ?
    thanx
    Andy
    http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...andom065-1.jpg
    Last edited by Andyp; 06-06-2010, 09:57 AM. Reason: pic

Sweet!

Steering can't be fixed. Dangerous to drive. I'll buy for scrap price just to help you out...

OK, seriously now:

What about just swapping out the shaft for a Borgeson or something similar?

Have somebody move the steering wheel back & forth as you follow the shaft to the box to the pitman to the tie rod ends and see where the slop is. Make sure the box is tight to the frame and there are no cracks.
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I'll start with the Pot coupler fix vs the $200 Borg for now and then check what else is loose or worn.
      "parts truck"-you're funny dude, after waiting so long and doing all the traveling and ground work to get this one, I may just be buried in it..the wife seems to think so any way LoL.
      Andy

Comment

At least with a crew cab you can BOTH be buried in it!

Good luck with the steering.

Whats the pot coupler fix you refer to?
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
          Whats the pot coupler fix you refer to?
          The factory steering coupler that sits on top of the steering box is of a design that leaves one wishing for more. It's essentially a soft potmetal box with a lid. The splined shaft out of the steering box slides into the bottom with a set screw. The steering wheel shaft fits through a gasketed hole in the lid. Grooves inside the box allow the pinned shaft to slide up and down with the movement of the steering box. A flexible weather cover goes over the whole works. It's basically a really poor / cheap substitute for what should be a universal joint and slipping spline shaft arrangement.

The weather cover tends to rot, get omited, lost or discarded. The gasket in the lid tears from all the slip movement it is subjected to. All the soft parts wear out easily and the box gets water in it. Once the grease is contaminated, the aluminum (pot metal) experiences excessive wear and you get loose steering as a result. The only way to lube it is to disassemble it. So it becomes a disposable part that needs replacing every few years. More often with serious outdoor activity.

I've been able to make them last a long time by drilling and tapping a hole near the base and installing a grease fitting. Lube it every oil change, just like everything else with a zerk.

A more expensive (better) fix is to install a replacement shaft from borgeson.

http://www.borgeson.com/

Comment

Zerk was a good idea. I put the Borg on my CTD. The coupler you speak of, if we're thinking the same thing, on my M880 is towards the top and faces downward. I spray some gear lube up in there whenever I think of it.

Falming River has an aftermarket shaft too
            http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd218.htm

Steering is kinda like brakes. You really need it to work...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
              Zerk was a good idea. I put the Borg on my CTD. The coupler you speak of, if we're thinking the same thing, on my M880 is towards the top and faces downward. I spray some gear lube up in there whenever I think of it.

Falming River has an aftermarket shaft too
              http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd218.htm

Steering is kinda like brakes. You really need it to work...
              This body series is different. The pot metal coupler sits right on top of the steering gear box and faces open end up. I'm guessing the open end down concept probably gave better service on the M880.

I don't know if they used it the whole time between 72-93, but I do know there were at least two different diameter spline shafts that came out of the top of the steering gear box. When you buy the new pot metal coupler, you can encounter two diferent hole diameters. And the spline count is different.

I've never seen a flamin river shaft, but it looks like it might be better looking (if that's important). The borgeson shaft works great. Mine has a nice brown petina like any other factory part under the vehicle. It looks like it belongs there. The hard part about putting it on was that it shipped with the two shafts compressed (slid together). The specs were so tight, I had one heck of a time getting them to slide apart to the correct length.

It's been on for about 6 years and still functions like it did out of the box. It's definately a superior setup. I was lucky to get two years out of an unmodified factory coupler. I'm sure that varies a great deal with driving conditions.

Comment

ok Borg it is

I'm weak, Napa also had issues sourcing the pot rebuild kit so I ordered the Borg shaft and be done with it. As the truck will get much highway miles then much off road miles during hunting season we need it to be dependable so the chevy dudes in the group won't hassel me..
                cool thanx
                Andy

Comment

It is a very nice looking truck.
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
                  X