Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does any have any experience with the 400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinner12002 View Post
    Hey clubcab, I have an adapter as you mentioned for using a 46RH OD trans on a big block if you decide to go that route, brand new never used for $350. I would reccomend a pre 96 trans as it only has 3 computer wires to control the OD and converter lockup, very simple to hook up manually.
    Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. I've heard that about pre 96 transmissions, and have seen adapter kits for the torque converter lockup and overdrive features.

Comment

318 vs 400 with 3.55 gearing

You may have resolved this long ago...
      Just a few thoughts...

Both the 318 and the 400 are great engines in my book. I've run them both is full size pickups. In your particular case, I'd go with the 400.

If you were running 4.10 gearing, the 318 would be just fine.
      Since you are running 3.55's, the 400 is the ticket.

Even empty or no load, the 318 with 3.55's might struggle to keep up with modern vehicles.

What did you end up doing?

Best regards

Comment

Hey frankyb, I guess I am staying with the 400, stock rebuild, stock 2bbl, only thing different would be dual exhaust from the stock manifolds and eliminate the small y pipe. Other than that, a rv/towing kit in the trans. In recently had the truck in the shop and spent 60 hours on the box hand sanding and blocking to perfection, only to ruin the paint when my $20 tractor supply gun lost an o ring in the middle of my spray job. I then got some bad advice when someone told me the clear would level out the color. NOT!! I did however do a beautiful job laying out the clear! Then my next bad advice: to fix it all I had to do was wet sand the clear with 600 and shoot it again. Well I did that and wet sanded very thoroughly only to have the base coat blister in many areas. It went through to the primer coat and wanted to stick to that, but "pushed up" the base and clear that were already there. I got disgusted and put the box back outside and went back to building kitchen cabinets (my area of expertise) for a while. I'll get some money together and do a complete rebuild of the power train as mentioned above, and then paint the truck after I reassemble the front clip after painting the firewall. The inner fenders and insides of the outer fenders are done and ready.

Comment

Working...
        X