Axle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle?

We are about to get the new trailer ready to move into so I will have a little cash to work on the Power Wagon. Any way it is a 1979 W150 with a 360 and a 727. I absolutely love the full time four wheel drive so the front dana 44 will probably stay under it for the foreseeable future. I guess what I am wondering is how big of a tire will the rear dana 44 hold up to it has 31x10.5's now when I put new tires on it would like to go with some 33's is that just asking for trouble or should I start looking for a rear dana 60 first? Any input would be appreciated the truck will get some light trail duty maybe a little mudding nothing heavy.

I don't believe your truck came with a Dana 44 rear. I think it would have a Dodge rear, unless it has been changed.

Either way, if you do much trail riding or rock crawling type off-roading you eventually could have beakage. A street queen with 33's will hold up longer. It's not just the tire size, but the weight of the tire/wheel combo that determines longitivity of drivetrain parts....... that and gears, engine torque, vehicle weight and how the throttle is stomped.

Bucky

Comment

You are absolutely right don't know how I got in my head it had a dana 44 in the rear. It is a dodge 8 and a quarter which from what I can gather is fairly light duty maybe I will just stick with 31's till I can upgrade to a dana sixty. And the truck won't get that much off roading heck it doesn't get drove much at all now since we have been trying to get the new place ready to move into. Anybody have anything to add good or bad about the eight and a quarter?

Comment

rear axle

You can easily swap in the 9 1/4" (12 bolt cover) axle. You now have the 8 3/8" axle, which is not as strong, and has no factory available limited slip option. You can run 33" tires without any problems. Check out the 33x 10.50 size tire, as that size clears the front fenders without having to trim them if you use your full suspension travel.

Comment

if it is a w150 witha 360 it should have the 9 1/4 / if it has the 8 1/4 somebody put it there

Comment

double checked today when I got home from work it is definitely a 8 and a quarter, so got to thinking maybe it is a 318 but has the the balance weight on the harmonic balancer so i guess i am gonna keep my eyes pealed for either a dana sixty or a 9 and a 1/4 thanks for all the info guys

Comment

Working...
            X