Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window regulator

Hi Guys,

the gear is stripped in 1977 window regulator, what is the best way to remove the regulator. ?

I stripped my door shells for painting about 3 months ago. I took the window off the regulator first. Then I had to drill the rivets out that hold the regulator in the door, I think there were 3 of them. I heard there are sometimes nuts and bolts used, but all my doors have had rivets. Then I rolled the regulator down [as if the window were still attached and I wanted to roll the window down] There was now enough slack because the regulator was now loose inside the door because of the missing rivets that the rearward nylon rollers will come off the track inside the door. I took the rollers off the track by going towards the rear of the door. Now you will be able to slide the front nylon rollers right off the front track, again by pulling rearward. This method has always worked for me, but maybe someone else can do it easier or quicker. Just be patient and use a light to watch what you are doing and you should be fine. I can post a picture of the regulator taken out of the door for you if that will help.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I got the regulator out without pulling the vent window, no problems there. but gave up after an 1 hr. of trying to get all 3 rollers in the right spot when putting the new one in.

I finally resorted to pulling the vent window and front channel to get the deal put back together. I also decided to tack weld 1/4x20 nuts on the back side of the regulator to ease in the instilation ( I replaced the 3 rivets that I ground out that held the regulator in with 1/4x20 bolts )

Many Thanks for your reply...

Comment

Your welcome.............I like the idea of tack welding the 1/4 20 nuts on the regulator. I'm definitely going to do that when I put mine back together . I should be doing that mid Aug. or so. I had the door botttoms replaced because the belt weatherstrip had rotted away and let gunk plug the weep holes...the rest of the doors were good. I got what I thought was a good deal from a master metal worker in Canada by Montreal on fixing the doors. He then told me he could rebuild one side [passenger] of my 8 foot bed. Since the doors were reasonable, I didn't get an estimate before the box side was rebuilt. The good news is it looks like an NOS piece. You don't want to know the price............

Comment

Working...
        X