NP203 vs NP205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP203 vs NP205

I was debating whether to rebuild my NP203 or try to find a good used NP205. The question I have is the 203 and 205 a direct swap? Also, is a 205 out of a Chevy or Ford the same as the Dodge? Lastly, is there a Dana 60 front end that will bolt in place of my Dana 44? Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

in my short experience with the 79 w150 I have the 203 and 205 will not directly swap the 203 is full time with the dana 44 in the lighter duty trucks and the 205 is part time in the heavier duty ones I am sure somebody else will come along and help out. Also I have heard that even though the 203 is a chain driven case it is still pretty tough but the 205 is supposed to be even tougher and as far as different manufacturers I would highly doubt they will swap.

Comment

Np 205

The NP 205 uses a different adaptor to mate to the transmission than the 203. If you find one in a salvage yard, make sure to get the adaptor with it. If you switch to the 205, you will have to install locking hubs on the front axle, as it is a part time transfer case. The 205 is gear driven, having no chain, and has a 2:1 low range. The 203 also has a 2:1 low range, but Wagoner Machine makes a 3:1 low range gear set for it. I am partial to the 203 myself, as it is more versatile, and it is very durable. Dana 60 front axles were available from the factory for vehicles equipped with either the 203 or 205 transfer case.

Comment

not to thread jack but there really is a dana 60 full time front out there?

Comment

Originally posted by Daewoo10356 View Post
          not to thread jack but there really is a dana 60 full time front out there?
          Yes, I own one and used to have another. Both came in 78 W200 club cab trucks. They used drive flanges instead of selectable locking hubs that came on the 80's Dana 60. I have pics if needed to show what they look like.

Excellant front axle. Usually had 7 leaves in the front spring packs. Milemarker has a Selectro style locking hub (#11034-01) that fits if you want to use this axle with a part-time t-case.

The Dana 60 front appeared in 1975 with open knuckles & disk brakes to replace the larger Dana 70 closed knuckle drum braked front that had been around since the late 50's in all W300's til 74 and a select few W200's in 72-74.

Bucky

Comment

Also it should be noted the the married 205 wasn't ( I didn't say never) available behind a big-block. It appeared after the big-block was dropped. Not an issue with 4-speed trucks (detachable bellhousings), but creates some case swapping if you want a big-block 727/205 combo. Members here have done that & have a 727/205 BB combo.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
              Yes, I own one and used to have another. Both came in 78 W200 club cab trucks. They used drive flanges instead of selectable locking hubs that came on the 80's Dana 60. I have pics if needed to show what they look like.

Excellant front axle. Usually had 7 leaves in the front spring packs. Milemarker has a Selectro style locking hub (#11034-01) that fits if you want to use this axle with a part-time t-case.

The Dana 60 front appeared in 1975 with open knuckles & disk brakes to replace the larger Dana 70 closed knuckle drum braked front that had been around since the late 50's in all W300's til 74 and a select few W200's in 72-74.

Bucky
              Ohhhhhhh! That is good to know! As it turns out the main reason I wanted to go to the NP205 was becuase I wanted to swap to a Dana 60 front diff and thought they all had hubs so I would need the 205. My next question then is, was the 60 a direct bolt in replacement for the 44? If so I will be on the hunt for one of the hub-less 60's reet new.

Good info and if you would be willing to post the pictures of the 60 you have I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Comment

Dana 60 front drive flange

If this picture comes through, it should be a shot of the front hub & drive flange of my 1978 Dana 60 front axle. These axle came in this style from 1975-80 in select W200's. The same axle came in select W300's of that era, but mainly with a spacer for the dually style wheels.

These show up on Ebay regularly priced from $400 to $900 range depending on how complete & what condition the components (brake rotors,calipers,u-joints,etc) are in.

As far as interchangability with a front 44, the drive shaft may have to be shorten because the large 60 carrier places the pinion yoke closer to the t-case.

Bucky
                Attached Files

Comment

more Dana 60 shots

Heres shots of the front Dana 60 differential housing & a rear view of the driver's side knuckle area. Dana 60 fronts have 7 leafs per spring pack.

Bucky
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures sir. After looking at them I immediately wondered if the only difference between your 60 and a hub-select 60 is that yours has a non-selectable hub so it stays engaged 100% of the time. If that is true then perhaps all I need to do is look for a hub select 60 and a set of those drive flanges and swap 'em. Any idea if anyone repops these or where I could find some?

Comment

Originally posted by 76WAGON200 View Post
                      Thank you for taking the time to post those pictures sir. After looking at them I immediately wondered if the only difference between your 60 and a hub-select 60 is that yours has a non-selectable hub so it stays engaged 100% of the time. If that is true then perhaps all I need to do is look for a hub select 60 and a set of those drive flanges and swap 'em. Any idea if anyone repops these or where I could find some?
                      I assume you are keeping your 203....Then you can find a Dana 60 just like mine or a later version. If you go later version they came with both internal & external type selectable lockers. The external is basically the same as mine but the drive flange is replaced by a selector very similar to the mile marker ones I mentioned earlier. The internal type is a different animal. If you find a later axle you could just leave the hubs locked until you found what you need.

BTW I can't count. My truck has 6 leafs per side, not 7.

Bucky

Comment

Yes, the 203 will stay since to swap to the 205 will be more hassle than it is worth.

I counted the leafs too and noticed it only had 6 but I wasn't about to be a smart alec and point that out. I figured you pulled one out for a softer ride or something. There should be many 60's kicking around that I can use. Thanks for the info, this will make my life much easier I think.

Comment

Dana 60 front f/s on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

Here's a later style passenger drop Dodge Dana 60 with the external style selectable locking hub. This is essentially the same as mine but w/o the drive flanges.

Bucky

Comment

dana 60

That was a 60 I had on ebay for sale, has 4:10s, still available if your interested.

Comment

Dana 60

Bucky,
                              Thanks for re-counting your leaf pack. I looked at a '85 Crew Cab Air Force truck yesterday, and it has 6 leaves in front. With any luck, I will be purchasing the truck next week. If so, I will change my user name to USAF 85W350. If I get the truck, I will most likely sell my '78 ex-US Navy W150 short bed truck for cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X