M880 acronym question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M880 acronym question

I recently purchased a 1977 M880 Dodge with markings on the bumpers from the Wyoming Army National Guard. On the designation tag on the dash, as well as on the underside of the hood and the bottom inside of both doors are the letters NGOTVF. My son is Wyoming Army National Guard and the best we can come up with is the NG is National Guard, and the TV Tactical Vehicle, anyone have any ideas on this? The truck does have the full blackout kit.

Thanks, Milt

From what I have read in the past, This is an army regristration number and should of been assigned to the truck when it was new, this is why it is on the Data plate on the dash. This number would of stayed with the truck as it was passed down from unit to unit ( and even branch to branch ) all of the numbers I have seen start with NG (mine is NGOW7R.)

The only clue I can say for sure ( by general consensus ) is that this truck was orginally assigned to the US ARMY. I would doubt that the letters mean anything pertraining to the national guard or being a tactical vehicle. The National guard hardley ever gets brand new trucks and many M880 were equiped with the blackout lights that do not have "TV" in the reg. number.

But I could be wrong,

let us know if you find out anything different...

Comment

I'll drive the XT5

My m880 has NGOXT5. the kids call the truck the "XT5". Makes truck sound fast and sleek, but its slow and robust.

Comment

I know that i read in the past somewhere (maybe olive drab), that this is only a registration number as was in WW2 the hood numbers. it might be an idea to google this?

Bart

Comment

The destination code tells you what unit the vehicle was initially destined for. For example my first duty station in Hawaii had the unit designation of WAMFBO, which basically was just a code that could be researched and found out to be Bravo Company 725th MSB, 25th ID(L). A bit of historic military research should tell you what unit the vehicle was built for originally.

Comment

D O D A C C (spaces added to acheive upper case)

Recognize that acronym? If you do, it's likely that you know you have to differentiate between a zero and the letter "O" when you look at registration numbers - just as you do for number 1 and letter "I". The clarity of these numbers depends on the completeness and quality of the stencil set being used, and the work ethic of the person using the stencils.

If you are with me to this point, you are enjoying some of the humor in the myths.

Comment

Ah yes, I didn't remember the acronym. It is the DODAAC or Department Of Defense Activity Address Code.

N stands for Navy, that is about all I could find because there really isnt much for public records for stuff from that era.

Comment

Working...
              X