Getrag issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getrag issues

No,I'm not dead just very busy.I bought my son a '90 d 350 5.9 cummins with the 5 speed Getrag(he IS reembursing me).It keeps bypassing the shift rails and locking in 2nd or between gears.Pull the shifter, reline the rails,put the shifter back in ,drive off.I think the syncros between 2-3 are shot but careful shifting avoids the problem.Is there a fast and dirty fix for this?

to me it sounds more like the PADS on the shifter forks are worn or gone / had a np435 that did that / it would over or under shift from one gear to the next and lock up / basically your comin out of one gear and its stayin there and try,in to shift the next gear when lock happens

Comment

Originally posted by The Other Ross View Post
      No,I'm not dead just very busy.I bought my son a '90 d 350 5.9 cummins with the 5 speed Getrag(he IS reembursing me).It keeps bypassing the shift rails and locking in 2nd or between gears.Pull the shifter, reline the rails,put the shifter back in ,drive off.I think the syncros between 2-3 are shot but careful shifting avoids the problem.Is there a fast and dirty fix for this?
      Is there any obvious wear on the parts involved? Is this a high mile truck?
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        Is there any obvious wear on the parts involved? Is this a high mile truck?
        250K showing on the broken odometer.No obvious wear as far as the gears but I don't know what the shifter rails are supposed to look like.This truck has received good care from new(I used to drive past it on my way to dating my wife) and I've been told that this is the second trans.

Comment

How are the pads on the shifter forks?

Comment

I don't have to take it that far down to reline the rails.The top of the trans comes off to get at the forks.What are the pads supposed to look like?

Comment

well for one they should be there [ they wear out and fall off] they should be as wide as the groove in the gear they ride in / there hard plastic that snap onto the ends of the forks

Comment

Well there was nothing that looked like hard plastic on the shifter forks of mine or one I examined at the junkyard.We have gotten used to shifting.A short pause in neutral on the way from 2nd to 3rd does wonders.

Comment

Working...
                X