carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb question

I am planning on replacing the carb in my 83 D150 Royal, and am unsure of whether to put another Holley on it or try another brand. I have heard many people I know refer to Holley carbs as "boat anchors" and I haven't replaced a carb on a vehicle since high school 40+ years ago so I am not sure which carb is good.
    The truck is only going to be used as a daily driver and I won't be towing or hauling with it. It has a 318 with a 727 tranny and a 2.76 rear end
    Thanks in advance for you help
    Tom
    aka DB69

Is it a four barrel you're swapping out? Holleys are perfectly serviceable carbs but I personally prefer an Edelbrock/Carter AFB... I just find the design easier to live with when actually working on them.

Comment

It is a Holley 2 barrel

Comment

Tom is there something wrong with your carb that an overhaul kit won't fix? The old Carter's worked on a lot of trucks and the Stromberg I have on my TW works well too. The issues you may have are hooking up all the necessary vacuum lines and hoses. The older carbs may not have all the ports needed.

Comment

in my experience older hollys, especially the 2bbls can be very picky. Newer hollys seem to be as good as anything. If you are looking to stay with the 2bbl intake, id suggest a stromberg. They are simple, easy to tune, and seem to be pretty problem free. If you want a 4bbl i would agree that a carter afb (edelbrock performer), is a good choice for a small motor like yours. I run an afb on an edelbrock performer dual plane intake on a bone stock 318 with headers and it makes great power, and enough torque to pull my 72 w200 through/over any obstacle.

Comment

I bought the truck in Denver and it is jetted for there.
            I have had 3 friends look at the truck and all 3 suggested either a new or rebuilt carb. Since I know absolutely nothing about carbs, I figured I would post here
            Tom

Comment

l,d get a Carter BBD which is a direct replacement / NAPA has both rebuild kits listed for the 83 year / the holley and the Carter

Comment

I found the carb on the truck now is a Holley 2280 which I saw was made exclusively for Dodge and used from 1979 through 1987
                Tom

Comment

the Carter BBD was also used thru that year range and is a better carb

Comment

Working...
                  X