new steering boxes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new steering boxes?

Guys, my 86 w250 is in need of a steering box. Don't want to shell out enough for a borgesen and don't want A_1 Cardone. Anyone used redhead? Got any other ideas?

What is the meaning of redhead in this context?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

redhead steering gears

This is one of the steering rebuilders I found that actually resets the gear lash in their boxes. I believe it's www.redheadsteeringgears.com

Comment

I had a steering box rebuilt for my 1973 Plymouth Satellite through www.firmfeel.com I've had great luck with it but I'm not sure if they do truck steering boxes, or if there is that much of a difference. If I rebuild mine, I'm going to call them first. I believe it was about $300 plus shipping, but in my opinion, well worth it. They only do MOPAR.
        Last edited by 78clubcab; 10-02-2010, 08:56 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

86 W250 steering box

I wore out the one on my 86 W250 also, and put in a rebuilt one, maybe it was the Cardone at about $100. This is not a Mopar part, but rather is a Saginaw metric size GM gearbox (well no wonder it wore out!!). The rebuilt one was a bit tight at first, but then loosened up to give satisfactory steering. But the front end on this truck is pretty loosey goosey. Ever since new it has been a wanderer. Driving this thing has always been like herding sheep. In my opinion, the front end geometry is pretty primitive, somewhat similar to trucks of the 50's. My W250 has the sno fighter package with the Spicer 60 front end. It is stout!!

My most common wear complaint with the steering, has been the rapid wear on the cup and pin "U" joint just up the steering wheel rod from the gearbox. Yes, my truck has been plowing snow and working in the farm fields all its life, but that joint has needed replacement about every second year (about every 5,000 miles). One Dodge dealer parts guy was disgusted with my unfavorable attitude towards the short life of this part, and replied to me "well you plow snow with it, whadda you expect??" Like "excuse me, what was this truck built for??" Anyhow, look carefully at that joint to see if most of your steering problem might be right there, and maybe not in the gearbox.

Good Luck with finding your solution.

Paul in MN

Comment

Working...
          X