• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish and Hesitant

Model: 1978 W150
    Engine: 318 ci
    Carb: 2280
    Mileage: 67,300

I have a bit of hesitation when revving up the engine in park. Acceleration is also lacking. Is this a timing or carburetor issue, or both? I found something about an accelerator pump when I did a search, but am not sure if this is a replaceable item, or should I just replace the carb, or is it worth rebuilding.

Thanks.

I have the same carb in my 83 D150 and am either going to have to rebuild it or replace it. It isn't made anymore but found a rebuilt one but won't pay the over $450 for it that NAPA wants for it. The carbeurator doctor lists a rebuild kit for that carb for about 50 bucks
    I am in the same quandry myself, I have a thread on here about the same thing (under carb question my handle is DB69)
    My D150 has a little over 114,000 miles on it
    Tom

Comment

Originally posted by DB69 View Post
      I have the same carb in my 83 D150 and am either going to have to rebuild it or replace it. It isn't made anymore but found a rebuilt one but won't pay the over $450 for it that NAPA wants for it. The carbeurator doctor lists a rebuild kit for that carb for about 50 bucks
      I am in the same quandry myself, I have a thread on here about the same thing (under carb question my handle is DB69)
      My D150 has a little over 114,000 miles on it
      Tom
      Wow, that is pricey. The replacement Champion carb is only $169 at Autozone. For $100 more than the NAPA one, you can buy a 600CFM 4bbl Elderbrock kit from Sumitt Racing, that comes with the carb, intake and gasket set.

Comment

How good is that champion carb?
        Does it match up as direct replacement or will the kickdown linkage and all that have to be adjusted? How complicated is that swap?
        Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Faol View Post
          Model: 1978 W150
          Engine: 318 ci
          Carb: 2280
          Mileage: 67,300

I have a bit of hesitation when revving up the engine in park. Acceleration is also lacking. Is this a timing or carburetor issue, or both? I found something about an accelerator pump when I did a search, but am not sure if this is a replaceable item, or should I just replace the carb, or is it worth rebuilding.

Thanks.
          You shouldn't have any trouble finding a carb kit for your truck. While you are at it I'd replace the fuel filter too. A check of the timing is always good. More than likely the accelerator pump is weak and you may have a plugged passage internally. A carb rebuild is a LOT less than a new carb.

Comment

Hesitation could also be caused by inoperative vacuum advance in the distributor.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I purchased the champion carb listed in this thread and had it installed and the difference is phenominal. My 83 D150 runs better than my 91 D150 does. I had been having problems with the way it ran (or wouldn't run) and had done several things to try to "fix" the problem
              I did a Mopar tune up with new plugs, wires, rotor and disributor cap, I also replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and about the same time I had to replace the starter and the pickup in the distributor and the ballast resistor.
              Since I was unsure about the carb that was in the truck, I decided to go with the rebuilt carb, It was jetted for Denver Colorado, and I thought it easier to replace it, and since the core charge was only $10.00 I decided to keep it and get it rebuilt at a later date.
              The truck now runs better than it has at any time that I have owned it
              (I bought it in March of 2009 from a member of 2 other Dodge truck forums that I frequent because of it's uniqueness-it has a utiline bed in it, but the bed floor isn't
              wood, it's steel like sweptside beds are)
              It is a Colorado truck which was sold new in Texas in 1982 and was dealer ordered
              now I have the unique antique that I wanted
              Tom

Comment

Glad to hear you have it running much better. I'm sure you are enjoying the truck much more than ever. You should be good for many happy miles.

Comment

Working...
                X