Looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking

Looking at buying a 1985 W300 with a '74 440 in it. It looks like the engine was put in at the factory. It isn't all butchered and hacked in. It has a 727 tranny. The cab is in decent shape for the year. It has a tall enclosed utility bed that is in fair condition. The front tires are so-so but the dual rears are good,so a rotate would be done for now. There are no leaks from the engine,tranny,transfer case, axles,,,,etc. Interior is worn. Seat needs work and covered. Floor has some patch panels but is solid and dry. I'm looking to get some feedback from the Advertiser family on this generation of trucks. I am somewhat familiar as I did own a '78 with a 440 years ago. Still looking for my stolen '47 though.

I am interested in knowing what tranfer case it has behind the 727. Some will argue against me, but I think the big block 727 only came married to the np203 full time case. Big blocks vanished before married np205 & np208 cases appeared in Dodges.

I do know that some here have married BB 727/205, but they were built from a case swap.

80's trucks had different electronics (more smog crap), wiring, dash than the 70's trucks. Frames almost identical. Body panels very similar. Axles & suspension basically the same too. Different interiors. Maybe less rust, but more paint issues.

Bucky

Comment

The tranny obviously came from a different truck as the big block was laid to rest in '78. The guy is a dodge man and it may be a 727/203 combo. I'm OK with that. The front axle has the big selectro hubs on it so it may have the part time conversion done on the 203. Like I said, he did an excellent job on the install. The engine came from a big dodge truck so it may be a -2 or -3 44o block. There is hardly any rust on the cab. The utility box is even in good shape, no big rust issues like usual for these. It has headers on it and I don't really like the way the exhaust was routed,,nothing that can't be changed. I would rather have a manual tranny but I can live with an auto mush box.

Comment

The selectro hubs tend to indicate a Dana 60 front, another plus!

Bucky

Comment

Yep,, it is a one ton truck, dual rear wheels and a utility bed on the back. It was a chassis cab not a pickup with a changed bed. Could the t-case be a 208? Isn't the 518 tranny the same bolt pattern as a 727? I'm thinking that it has a 727 and 208 combo. I made him an offer but it was low and all I could afford. He said to call back in a few weeks.

Comment

85 w350

The '85 W350 dually will have a NP 205 transfer case and a Dana 60 front axle from the factory.

Comment

Owner called me back, he accepted my offer and I will be picking it up on Sunday or Monday!!! I am going to remove the enclosed utility body and install a flatbed. First thing is to clean it up and fix the seat. It is worn on the driver side. I will be calling boneyards today looking to check inventory. I will try to get pics up when I can.

Comment

Got it!!!

Picked it up yesterday afternoon. Runs great! Steers straight when braking,or running 65. Brakes are very good, doesn't pull and the pedal is firm and quick.

It has a small spot of rot starting above the windshield, I will tend to that either soon or in the spring, depending on weather and money.
                The 440 runs cool and sounds great. There is no smoke starting it, running, or letting off throttle.

Tranny shifts as it should but the kickdown may need adjusted. It wanted to downshift at 50mph but it went back into 3rd, then down again then finally into 3rd. It never missed a shift or slipped. It is a heavy truck with the enclosed utility bed on, but I will be removing it soon.

The gas mileage SUCKS right now but removing the bed should help. It won't be a daily driver but a good back-up for winter when the white stuff flies. I'll get some pics up soon. I was looking for a flat-fender but nothing was decent in my price range, or sensible right now.

Comment

Good news,,truck has 4:56 gears in it which explains the crappy mileage. Bad news is it has 16.5 rims with 9.50 tires right now.

Comment

Yep, those gears & that heavy non-aerodynamic bed are detrimental to fuel efficiency.

Looks like a hoss!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                    X