need info! 77 4x4 power wagon 440

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info! 77 4x4 power wagon 440

i bought a 1977 dodge w10 power wagon not knowing much about it. i done some research and found out that the engine is factory and a numbers matching 440 big block. its a stepside reg cab with factory ac and cruise. it has the all time 4x4 trans case. how rare are these trucks? i want to find out more about it before i start working on it so i know whether to restore or jus make a hunting truck out of it, any info would be greatly appreciated.

welcome to the site.

The determining factor is the trucks current condition. If the truck is basically intact, unmodified & only needing minor stuff like a paint job or upholstery (say #2 condition) then it might be worth it to restore, but only if you want to keep it & enjoy it for your self. These trucks aren't investment material or moneymakers like the old Chargers, Roadrunners & Cudas are. There are Dodge trucks out there that can fetch Barrett-Jackson prices, but I think it would cost you more to get this model to that condition than what it would bring once you got it there.

If its in #3 or worse condition, making it a daily driver or hunting rig might more feasible.

What would you feel comfortable putting into it for your personal use is something to consider.

I am not trying to discourage you, just want you to analyze this from multiple angles.

Bucky

Comment

the truck is complete from my inspection of the truck, the truck is not been hacked on or modified in any way as far as i can tell. i like lifted, hot engines and things of that sort lol but i dont want to ruin a nice, possibly rare truck. closest thing i can relate it to is a warlock but i have no way of telling. i have looked for a while and have not seen another factory 440 truck like this one. thanks for the response it was very helpful!

Comment

I too like lifted modified trucks. But this one might be better kept towards the original side. There are plenty of other more suitable candidates for making into mud stompers.

I see you're in Madill. My (maternal) grandparents married there at the courthouse in 1934. My old man is from Bryan county, currently lives in Pottsboro, Tx. I am sorta familar with your area.

Bucky

Comment

very cool, i was married in that same courthouse in jan 08 and i go to southeastern in durant, we r in the same neck of the woods.

i think i may restore it slowly in my spare time or possibly sell it to someone who may have more appreciation for it, great info

Comment

from owning one of the stepside 4x4s i can tell you that it is rare to see one fixed up on the road (i see lil reds more than the 4x4s). when i had mine on the road (restoring it now) i got nothing but thumbs up from people. people i run into from ten years ago ask me if i still have it. i smile and say heck yea. i see ford and chevy stepsides more and more but the old dodges arent that common. and to have a factory big block truck........heck yea to that. i am making mine the way i want it and not factory. it was a small block auto truck and will be a big block 5 speed in the future (slowly picking away at it when i get money). i just spent the past few weekends getting the rolling chassis done and am motivated as all get out to get it back on the road.

my advice, fix and rust and mechanical things on it that you may need to and have fun with it (not hunting with it). or........you could sell it to me!

thats just my .02

Comment

p.s. here is a guy that made his into a mudder. but you get the idea of the awesome factor with a stepside 4x4.

http://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-t...w-pic's!!/

Comment

hate to say it but the 440 short bed trucks from 1977 to 78 are the most common / and texas is filled with thousands of them

Comment

but how many stepsides do you see around that are big block 4x4? i have traveled east to west and north to south (mainly living on the east coast) and havent seen hardly any stepside 4x4s.

Comment

Working...
                  X