Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1975 360 turns, but wont fire

1975 w200 w/360 np206

I need to figure out what is my next move. It has a brand new starter and cranks really well, but nothing else. Gas is getting to carb, but still no fire. What should I check next?

Thanks,
    Paul

power to the ballast resister and the power to BOTH sides of the coil / unbolt your ECM and clean were it bolts up / the ECM needs a real nice ground

Comment

Thanks, I'll see what that does....

Comment

Is a PCM the same thing?

Comment

I think he was referring to the box on the fender, next to your ballast resistor. Has a four or pin connector. They sometimes go out w/o warning, others seem to last forever. Not expensive at a local auto parts store, nor is the ballast resistor.

Comment

I've got power to the ECU and to the Coil, how do I test the ballast resistor?

Comment

Originally posted by ulte1383 View Post
              I've got power to the ECU and to the Coil, how do I test the ballast resistor?
              If you have power to the coil, then ballast at least isn't shorted, but may not be within spec.

When checking a ballast:

Use an Ohmmeter to see if there is continuity through it.

You can also run a jumper wire across it just to see if it will start, but it should already be bypassed when you are cranking with the ignition key. During normal operation, when you release the ign key & it returns to RUN, the juice to the coil is routed through the ballast then.

I'd look at ECU, coil then finally distributor.

Bucky

Comment

When my ECU(M) went bad, I had the SAME problem.

Comment

What Ohms should I be seeing to see if it is in spec, is it the numbers in the Haynes manual. Also, what setting should I use on my multimeter?(DC, AC, DCmA, or BAT)

Comment

Originally posted by ulte1383 View Post
                    What Ohms should I be seeing to see if it is in spec, is it the numbers in the Haynes manual. Also, what setting should I use on my multimeter?(DC, AC, DCmA, or BAT)
                    First, since you are getting power (how much?) to the coil, I don't suspect the ballast as being the cause of no spark.

Yes the specs would be in a Haynes, Chiltons or the FSM.

I am not sure as to which exact setting, but I think BAT. When you touch the black & red test probes together the meter should go to zero (if digital) or the needle should swing to zero (if analog).

I believe the ECM thing bears checking into first.

Bucky

Comment

Do you mean cleaning up the mounts for the grounding when you say the ECU thing?

Comment

The ECM on the drivers side fender needs to get a good ground. It may need to be unbolted and the rust sanded off...

also check where the neg battery cable bolts to the drivers side fender, If it is rusted up there it will also need cleaned.

Comment

I'll get the ground perfect on ECM and Neg battery connection at fenderwell in the morning and get back to you. Thanks everyone for your help, I dont want to get rid of this truck!

Paul

Comment

Thanks everyone including the original responder who told me to clean of the ECM for grounding purposes. It starts up without a problem!

Thanks again,
                            Paul

Comment

Paul,
                              Glad you didn't have make several trips to the parts store to get her going!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X