80 ramcharger fuel filler pukes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 ramcharger fuel filler pukes

What would cause a fuel filler to burp back fuel during filling? To make things more interesting the fuel guage is not working, but no way this tank is full. There is a Holly electric fuel pump mounted to the passenger side frame in the wheel well. Is this a venting issue?

anti syphon device clogged

Never heard of it but its been suggested that an anti syphon "sock" may have been installed. the only reason I'm mentioning this is, the RC came with a locking gas cap. Suggesting previous owner may have had problems with people helping themselves to his fuel

Comment

Does it always do this? I had this happen about 2 weeks ago. Since it was an isolated occurrence I concluded that that pump must be to blame.

Does not inserting the pump nozzle all the way help it take fuel better?

Bucky

Comment

happened all 3 times i've tried. New to me ramcharger

twice filling by hand with jerry can. once at gas station only took 1 gallon then nozzle clicked off.

Comment

Get a very stiff wire and ram it down the filler tube, there is a stopper in there that is to prevent back splash. If it is stuck, fuel will be slow to go in past it.
          Or remove the filler tube at the tank, you should see a ball or stopper in the rubber tube, ensure it is moving freely from that end.
          Andyp
          -84 Crew 1 ton [currently]
          -4 RC's previously

Comment

....or put the pump nozzle in upside down (worked on my '75 and on my new '77)

Comment

progress

removed skid plate, dropped tank, replacing filler hose, sending unit sent out for rebuild, replacing ventlines, soak and rinse plastic tank with acetone. you should have seen the varnish and gunk that came out. found 2 nice craftsman wrenches inside the skid plate. someone must have attempted to fix this problem once before and gave up when his wrenches fell into the skidplate cavity.

Comment

its saggy body mounts that cause the fill hose to collaspe were it go,s over the frame rail / and is a common problem

Comment

dodgeboys keep an eye on the mailbox

Envelope left NYC yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by djhellan View Post
                    ....or put the pump nozzle in upside down (worked on my '75 and on my new '77)
                    My old '78 was the same way,,,would click off quick. Turned the nozzle upside-down and it worked. It was a little weird getting the hang of holding it inverted.

Comment

Find a filler neck from a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that originally burned leaded gas. It won't have that stupid nozzle restriction that was put in place so that only unleaded pump nozzles would fit into the filler. Pre-unleaded gas pump nozzles were bigger, so when our wonderful loving government came up with unleaded gasoline, they come out with smaller pump nozzles then put restrictors in the vehicle filler necks. It kept you from pumping Ethly in your unleaded only car, thus screwing up the convertor.

I don't know how the truck fillers vary in shape to the Ramcharger fillers, since tanks were mounted differently. Nor do I know if the 74 Ramchargers were already meant for Unleaded only & already had the filler restriction in place.

I do know that my unrestricted 78 W200 filler neck will accept gasoline at any rate which you can pump it..... and the engine will burn it almost the same rate.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                      X