79 W150 Warlock - Engine Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 W150 Warlock - Engine Swap

I have a 1979 Warlock that currently has a 360 in it. It is time for a new motor and plan to go with an ATK long block. Have been toying with going with a 440 long block. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to run into such as motor mount issues, linkage, transmission, driveshaft, ETC?

Thanks much

Engine mounts are easy to get. The tranny has to be for a big block. You have to have a rear sump oil pan. Try to get a water pump housing that has the proper orientation for your radiator, or plumbing is an issue. The radiator itself should be fine. All the other crap like wiring is pretty much the same. Be sure that you get the correct exhaust manifolds for your system or you will be changing your downpipe also. They aren't bad to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tangomike3 View Post
      I have a 1979 Warlock that currently has a 360 in it. It is time for a new motor and plan to go with an ATK long block. Have been toying with going with a 440 long block. Can anyone tell me what I can expect to run into such as motor mount issues, linkage, transmission, driveshaft, ETC?

Thanks much

What does ATK mean?
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I think ATK is an engine manufacturer/rebuilder.

Comment

here are some swap items you might want (not mine)

http://ramchargercentral.com/parts-f...arts-boise-id/

Comment

Since the truck had a small block in it, you may need to change the power brake booster as they had two different sizes. It's been a while since I did my swap but I think your 79 will have the larger diameter booster that could hit the valve cover on the 440. Check out bouchillon performance for big block swap information and parts. I bought their guide when I did mine, it didn't have any information I hadn't already found online, but it was nice to have it all in one booklet. Also, when I did my swap, the stock 318 radiator was barely up to the task of cooling the 440 so you may want to consider that as well.

Comment

Working...
            X