Rims cross reference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rims cross reference

I eventually want to ditch the 16.5 dually rims on the '85 and go to 16's for easier tire buying. What else will fit, Furd? Chebby? Any years? Bone-yards around here laugh when I call and ask but nobody seems to know what else may fit.

Is this a 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, what?
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Sorry Gordon, it is for the '85 W350 1 ton dually that I bought recently. I wanted to replace my stolen WDX but asking prices and my available funds at the time were planets apart.

Comment

I can't say about dually, but I do know that on SRW 3/4 & 1 ton Dodges with Dana 60 rear that Chevy wheels will not fit. The center hole is too small to go over the hub. This was the case on a 85 D350 that I had. The Chevy wheel worked on the front but not the rear.

Bucky

Comment

Probably the same for the dually then. I found furd rims on ebay but I will continue to look locally.

Comment

Rims

Be sure you keep in mind that your 85 is going to need the coined wheels that are getting real hard to find. I've been looking around here for some extras and haven't come up with any.
            I need spares for 3 trucks and one of the trucks has 3 snap ring rims that I would like to replace with drop centers, so I could use a total of 6.
            I have found a few hub piloted (flat), but no coined rims.

Dennis

Comment

Could you please explain about the coined vs. flat rims?

Comment

I am sure iranch will swing through with an answer, so don't worry.

Good question. My first response is it has to do with how dual wheel sets index against one another. My research on it says that in the distant past that was a common thing, and resulted from physical features on the faces of the wheel centers, around the stud holes.

More research tells me some 8-hole wheels [over a range of vehicle brands] were stud centered and others were centered on the hub that extended through what is called the pilot hole, or center hole, of the wheel.

I am not saying any of this is your good answer, but I believe it will have to do with these general topic areas.

I will continue researching, but will be interested in the informed answer we get later!

Comment

Gordon is right

Here is a picture of the rim you need. This is a coined (lug centered) rim, the other is simply a flat plate with a 5/8 hole drilled thru it and would be a hub centered rim. You will not be able to keep them tight on your 85 Dodge (don't ask how I know) LOL. The picture is the spare from my 90 CTD.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by iranch View Post
                    Here is a picture of the rim you need. This is a coined (lug centered) rim, the other is simply a flat plate with a 5/8 hole drilled thru it and would be a hub centered rim. You will not be able to keep them tight on your 85 Dodge (don't ask how I know) LOL. The picture is the spare from my 90 CTD.
                    Are these wheels only used on the rear as duals, or are they also used on the front?

Comment

I used Ford wheels to replace some bent ones on my 77 W300. As far as I've seen, the same wheels were used up to the 93 W350 model. Haven't messed with later Dodge truck models. Same wheel used on F350 to 1997.

Don't dismiss Alcoa wheels...

Comment

Gordon, all six were the same

or 7 counting the spare.

The Ford wheels were the same, others were not. GM products and all trailer apps that I have seen were the flat wheel. One ton dually trucks were not that popular 20 years ago. All I know is that the correct drop center wheels are a little hard to find. I think they are still available new but are very spendy and are special order.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          Are these wheels only used on the rear as duals, or are they also used on the front?
                          I had (recently) an all original 1 ton Dodge B3D , with dually wheels. all 7 wheels were coined, they actually were interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by jakenok View Post
                            I had (recently) an all original 1 ton Dodge B3D , with dually wheels. all 7 wheels were coined, they actually were interchangeable.
                            Same here on my 79 W300.

Comment

Working...
                            X