Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension blocks

Hi there,
    This is my first post. I have acquired a 1977 W100 and I know nothing about it, except that it has the NP203 full time T-case I wanted. I bought it sight unseen in CA and had it shipped to New Zealand.

It is sitting in the garage pending the solution to just a handful of issues.

One is the rear suspension. It has 2 pairs of blocks between the axle and the springs and I am trying to find out weather this is the original set up, and if so, how to prove it to the gentlemen at the vehicle compliance center.

The other (small!) issue is parts. There are none down here, so the question is if someone can suggest an online store.

Other than the above I am thrilled with it.

Thank you,
    Marco

The blocks are original. Almost all civilian Dodge 4x4's came with them on the rear, should be about 3" tall.

Instead of you proving to him that they are stock, make him prove to you that they are not.

It time people in the world start kicking bureaucracy in the teeth.

Bucky

Comment

That was a brilliant reply!

The blocks are taller than 3", maybe 5"?. There are 2 separate blocks on each side. Four blocks in total.

Does it sound right?

Cheers,
      Marco

Comment

Originally posted by mgdms View Post
        That was a brilliant reply!

The blocks are taller than 3", maybe 5"?. There are 2 separate blocks on each side. Four blocks in total.

Does it sound right?

Cheers,
        Marco
        usually, there are only one set of blocks per side from the factory. however, could be a different case for yours. stocking blocks, as long as they are not excessively high is ok, safety wise. The really bad place to see a lift block is on the front axle; they NEVER should be there.

Regarding you compliance guy, if you cant prove the two blocks, how about pulling one set out for the inspection and reinstalling afterwards? A little work, but easier than railing against a blockhead..

Comment

I'll have a go, it might still be level afterwards because the back is higher now.
          No blocks in the front, just springs.

Any idea where to find the indicator assembly that goes inside the steering column?

Thanks,
          Marco

Comment

The factory never put a block on top of a block, having it that way is not very safe. The largest factory one I have ever seen was the ones on my '98 Cummins powered 2500 that were not quite 4 inches tall. I would just remove the shorter ones and leave it that way. That way the truck sits level and is safer to drive. Less chance of axle wrap, blocks walking around and throwing your alignment off (dogtracking).

Comment

blocks

mgdms,

The blocks that are 3" tall are the factory blocks. Leave those on, and take the second set off. You will then be back to original, and will pass the inspection.

Comment

Great, I'll do that.

Thank you all,
                Marco

Comment

Welcome!

Are the blocks square or do they have a "dog ear"? They also act as bump stops. The dog ear points in board and contacts the bump stop on the frame.

What kind of parts are you looking for? There's plenty of on-line sources depending on what you need...
                  1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                  1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                  1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Thank you KRB64.
                    I need the assembly for the indicators, the bearings for the hubs (D44-D60), a rebuild kit for the NP203, a rear main oil seal for the 318, and that's it.

Not much wrong with it so far!!!

Marco

Comment

Not sure about shipping but NAPA will have all the mechanical stuff. Sometims you can find common items at Saturn Surplus under the M880s which are W200s though but they share quit a bit of components.

Now the shift indicator stuff, that may have to be gotten from a junk yard?
                      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

>> Now the shift indicator stuff, that may have to be gotten from a junk yard?

Perfect excuse for a trip, brilliant!

Comment

Blocks

My '75 half ton came with two sets of blocks, there is ( at least in my case there are ) pins in the center of the blocks keeping them located.

I think there is a illustration in my factory manual of the rear spring setup. If there is I will scan it in and post it for you.

I would leave the setup as it is, if nothing else couldn't you have the local Chrysler dealer speak up for you?

Comment

Originally posted by mgdms View Post
                            Hi there,
                            This is my first post. I have acquired a 1977 W100 and I know nothing about it, except that it has the NP203 full time T-case I wanted. I bought it sight unseen in CA and had it shipped to New Zealand.

It is sitting in the garage pending the solution to just a handful of issues.

One is the rear suspension. It has 2 pairs of blocks between the axle and the springs and I am trying to find out weather this is the original set up, and if so, how to prove it to the gentlemen at the vehicle compliance center.

The other (small!) issue is parts. There are none down here, so the question is if someone can suggest an online store.

Other than the above I am thrilled with it.

Thank you,
                            Marco
                            From the factory Dodges came with ONE block, never two. The blocks have a seam that "looks" like two blocks, but it is only a casting seam.
                            Depending upon the model, year and weight rating, the blocks were 3", 4", 5" and in rare cases 6". The blocks have centering pins, inside, but the factory never installed stacked blocks.

If your compliance officer still has issues show him this photo from the states, if that doesn't do the trick, I can load a sketch from the Factory Service Manual.

Comment

Wow. thank you very much for the picture. I'll print it and take it to the compliance center.

I have two more things to fix, then I'll try my luck.

Cheers,
                              Marco

Comment

Working...
                              X