Overload springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overload springs

Anybody have pictures of the OEM set up for overloads?

I bought a set out of a junck yard about 10 years ago. They've been sitting in my shop in a pile since then with new U-bolts. Now that I have the bed off the M880 for brake lines, fuel sender, new leaves and a flat bed I figure I might as well slap them on there.

I assume that the small rectangular block sits on top of the main spring pack, then the overloads and then the small plate on top on top of them?
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

The modern overloads are that way, but there also has to be a "landing" for the overload to hit, so that it transfers the load to the main spring pack.
    Wouldn't you know it, I have 14,000 photos and not one picture of a spring pack with overloads...duh!

Comment

here may be a picture of one.

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ead.php?t=9010

Scroll down to reply #5. It shows a partial picture of an overload spring. This truck is an 1980 mode truck. Has the married 205 t-case too.

More pictures on page 10. Bed is removed, offering a better view.
      Bucky

Comment

Had forgotten about that thread. Wonder if he ever finished?

I have the perches for the springs too. I think everything is there to complete the upgrade. Was at dad's for Thanksgiving and looked at one of his M880s and remembered that it had helpers.

Now one more question. Last springs I tore into was about 20 years ago on a '62 Willys 3-B. Refresh my memory please. Once I cut the u-bolts theres a little bolt through the spring pack that holds it all together right? I see the end of the bolt through the top now with what looks like a nut in a little recess in the main leaf but its all rusted up pretty good.
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Besides the new U bolts, you will need new center bolts long enough to go through the entire set of original spring leaves, the spacer leaves and the overload pack of leaves. The head of this center bolt is to be located at the bottom side of the main leaves and fit into a recess in the axle tube housing. This bolt head aligns the rear axle with the truck frame, so it is critical. If you remove the main leaf from the truck, be sure to label which end faces forward. Some main leafs are totally symetric, and some are longer on one end (usually towards the rear of the vehicle). You will probably not need to remove the main leaf, unless you are having it re-arched.

Paul in MN

Comment

Good to know. Never even thought about the possibility of them not being symetrical. I do plan to leave the main leaf on.

Is that bolt a grade 8 I wonder?

Thanks.
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Just call up your local Napa or other auto parts store and tell them you need a leaf spring center bolt. They will ask you what size and how long. Get some a couple inches longer than what your spring pack is in height, makes it tons easier to put them back together. They are like $3 each so no worries about breaking the bank on them.

Comment

Good to know, will do. Thanks.
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                X