carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb question

im putting a edelbrock 1406 carb on my 1980 w150 318ci. my question is which port do i put the vaccum line on? timed or full? the old carb had alot of problems, and i am trying to make sure everything is where its supposed to be.

i should add, the reason im replacing the carb is truck is extrememly hard to start, once started will not idle for more then 30 seconds and during that time the idle is extremely erratic goes really high then drops down and back up again, it constantly chatters out the tail pipes, and black smokes like crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by superchiken View Post
      im putting a edelbrock 1406 carb on my 1980 w150 318ci. my question is which port do i put the vaccum line on? timed or full? the old carb had alot of problems, and i am trying to make sure everything is where its supposed to be.
      Are you asking for the vacuum advance for the distributor? That is usually the upper port (smaller) with the lower larger port being for the brake booster.

This may or may not help you:
      "Ported vacuum" - this pulls vacuum as you are accelerating only and pulls no vacuum at cruise speeds, requires less initial timing. This is where you attach the distributor.

"Non-ported vacuum" - This pulls vacuum at normal cruise speeds and drops vacuum when you accelerate, "can" require slightly higher initial timing.

Comment

on the edelbrock carb there two small ports for distributor advance and one large on.the small one have one timed or metered which has no vaccum at idle and the other one is full which pulls full vaccum at idle. the carb discription list them as timed being for emission controlled and full is for non emission controlled

Comment

The distubutor vacuum advance hose should go to the port that has zero/low vacuum at idle & increases with acceleration.

If you don't already have one, a vacuum gauge is a wonderful & inexpensive item to have in your tool box. Ask Santa to get you one.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
            The distubutor vacuum advance hose should go to the port that has zero/low vacuum at idle & increases with acceleration.

If you don't already have one, a vacuum gauge is a wonderful & inexpensive item to have in your tool box. Ask Santa to get you one.

Bucky
            thanks for the help i appreciate the input. i do have a vaccum gauge, and i have detemined which port is which just wanted to make sure that the hose went on the right one.

Comment

Working...
            X