Ignition Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Problem

Well I finally have my 74 W-200 crew cab back together after a tear down and repaint. everything was good until the other day. Something happened with the ignition so it will not fire until the key is released. When starting it just turns over until I let go of the key then it will start. Any ideas on what this could be would be appreciated. Bob

There is a start circuit and a run circuit in these trucks ignition systems.The start circuit in yours is probably shot(can be proven with a blink light on the coil).Replace the pickup coil in the distributor(I've done this on the side of the road).Anyway that's my best guess.

Comment

When cranking the voltage to the coil bypasses the ballast resistor & give the coil full voltage. When you release the key it goes from "start" back to "run" position & the voltage is directed through the ballast resistor.

Could be ballast resistor or ignition switch (not sure, I can't remember how those are wired) or in the related wiring.

Easy to check with a 12V test light or meter.

Bucky

Comment

you have either a bad ballast resister or ECM

Comment

Had this happen at least three times with three different trucks,each time it was the pickup coil.

Comment

I chased this frustrating gremlin for a while (it was only an intermittant problem). My pickup coil had broken loose from the dist and would roam around inside there, sometimes working - sometimes not...)
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
            X