hard to start idles rough cackles out pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard to start idles rough cackles out pipes

1980 w150 318 new carb, coil, plugs, wires, and distributor cap and rotor. very hard to start, and rough idle if it will idle. cackles and pops out the pipes and will back fire through the intake if you wick the throttle. im chasin my tail here and could really use some input cause i have hit a wall. it sound like the timing is retarded to me but i checked it and it was fine according to chilton. on the other hand if it has a different cam the timing could be alittle off. any ideas?

Did the truck run smooth at one time or is this a new problem with the truck?
    Carb: Is it brand new to the engine or has it been proven to run smooth with the engine? Possible setting adjustments needed?
    Plug wires: Double check and triple check the firing order of the wires. Check coil wire too. Getting two wires out of order will do exactly what you're describing.
    Broken valve spring(s)?
    I'd throw a timing light on it to double check the timing. It does sound like it could be out of timing.
    Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Keep us posted on what the problem is...
    Craig

Comment

truck did run smooth at one time. carb is brand new to the engine, but engine runs exactly the same with the old carb. i rechecked the wires and all seems to be in order, i ll give timing a check again. thanks for racking your brain and giving mine a rest for a minute lol

Comment

Make sure that your plug wires are on the cap correctly. I did that once. They were in the correct order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 but were one terminal advanced. She had little to no power from a stop, would cough and backfire if you mashed the stupid pedal too quick, but I was getting silly fuel mileage on the highway for a 440 W150. I could go to work all week on 1 tank of fuel,,40 minutes 1 way! Also be sure to check that your air gap is correct and everything is clean inside the cap. Check the timing chain also for any slop or a jumped tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by greg rider View Post
          Make sure that your plug wires are on the cap correctly. I did that once. They were in the correct order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 but were one terminal advanced. She had little to no power from a stop, would cough and backfire if you mashed the stupid pedal too quick, but I was getting silly fuel mileage on the highway for a 440 W150. I could go to work all week on 1 tank of fuel,,40 minutes 1 way! Also be sure to check that your air gap is correct and everything is clean inside the cap. Check the timing chain also for any slop or a jumped tooth.

i definantly dont have the fuel mileage problem i only get 9 out of my 318!

Comment

How many miles? Have the timing gears and chain been replaced?

Comment

The odometer shows a little over 98000 to my knowledge no the gears have not been replaced it is on my list of things to check

Comment

Originally posted by superchiken View Post
                The odometer shows a little over 98000 to my knowledge no the gears have not been replaced it is on my list of things to check
                Bingo!Easiest way to check is pop off the distributor cap and hand turn fan to roll over engine. If you get engine rotation without the rotor moving there is slack in the timing chain.

Comment

sweet thanks ill check that out it could be the problem im looking for especially since the truck had been running good then kind of all of a sudden went to pot.

Comment

Checked truck out today vacuum advance is bad and timing gears have slop in them. Thanks for all the input you guys have put in

Comment

Check the electronic ignition pickup and reluctor inside the distributor. A small metal filing stuck to either one can cause problems. Also make sure any of the grounds for the ignition system are in good condition. Good luck and keep us posted.

Joe

Comment

update

new distributor, plugs, wires, coil, resistor ,and control module. truck is running good, still needs timing chain it does have play but truck is up and movin down the road.

Comment

Glad to hear. Double roller timing chains can be had off Ebay for like $40. They offer a much longer life than single rollers and will fit in with no modifications. Just FYI if/when you decide to tear into it.

Comment

Working...
                          X