Very Tight Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Tight Steering

When I first start my truck in the morning the steering is very tight.There is the proper amount of fluid in the power steering pump.The coupler looks ok too.Once I drive awhile I have no problem the rest of the day. Has anyone had the same condition?

Fluid is thicker when cold maybe, thus lessening the effectiveness of the power assist?

Automatic transmissions sometimes shift harder (or at least differently) when cold too.

Bucky

Comment

Do you have a steering stabilizer on your rig? What might be happening is that it is worn out and is freezing when left to sit overnight. Movement through driving might be freeing it up throughout the day only to happen again the following night. I had a neon with a bad strut that actually froze up on me, instead of the usual bouncy ride you get when a shock/strut goes bad.
      A simple way to clear it up is to just take it off for a day and see what happens. They are pretty cheap, may be a good time to just go ahead and replace it.

Comment

Hard steering

Originally posted by captfrankie View Post
        When I first start my truck in the morning the steering is very tight.There is the proper amount of fluid in the power steering pump.The coupler looks ok too.Once I drive awhile I have no problem the rest of the day. Has anyone had the same condition?
        If you are AN UNLUCKY SOLE LIKE ME, it will be the power steering pump. This happened to me while 500 miles away. The ps pump goes bad and until it gets heat in it, it is stiff and choppy. Then, it goes out and takes the steering gear with it. Go to the dealer, or ? and have the system flushed after replacement of pump. I did not do that. $1,600 and 2 O'reilly (junk A1 remanufactered parts) later, I had a Mopar pump put on and a flush. O'reillly bought their 1st pump and a steering gear, but hosed me the 2nd time. Catch it quick, save the gearbox. O'reilly pumps lasted approx. 2,000 miles each. Have had no problems since. Knock on wood.

Comment

Working...
        X