Lift kit advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift kit advice

I am trying to decide the best route to go with a small suspension lift to my '76 W200. The truck will not be used for any serious off-roading, commuting or show. It's just my old friend that I like to drive when I get time and I would like to lift and level it to give the old fella the ability to look these new trucks in the eye at a stoplight. I am looking for advice on the best route to go on the amount of lift front and rear to achieve a level stance without requiring any further mods. I was thinking 4" or less. Anyone have any experience with this that can help me out? As well, what brand works best for the buck? I was planning on going no bigger than 33" tires.

That brings me to another question: Does a 16" wheel fit ok where the original size is a 16.5". I was thinking of going 17". Any thoughts? Thanks guys!

Yes 16" wheels/tires will fit fine. Dodge eventually did this on later models anyways.

I'd get a Skyjacker 4" lift system, the one with new springs all the way around. Don't get the kit that only adds blocks to the rear.

Rancho & Superlift also make suspension lifts for Lifestyle era Dodges.

Anything over 4" starts causing steering & driveline angle issues possibly.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks for the info. I just thought of something......if I go 4" do I need to replace the drag link?

Comment

http://www.alcanspring.com/ these folks will build a set based on what you tell them you want & how you drive. You get what you pay for.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by 76WAGON200 View Post
          Thanks for the info. I just thought of something......if I go 4" do I need to replace the drag link?
          I think 4" is the max before you have to get a different pitman arm.

Bucky

Comment

If there is a good spring shop in your area you might also look into having your stock springs rearched. If they are in decent shape they can usually add two to four inches over factory height before encountering shackle issues. Two inches of spring lift with a four inch taller tire will give a four inch total lift and give a more "balanced" look than more spring lift over a smaller tire would, in my opinion.

Two inches of spring lift will change your drag link geometry a little. Not really a big deal, but when you get it aligned it is possible that your steering could "lock" sooner in one direction than the other, if that makes any sense. It is possible to build an adjustable drag link out of tie rod ends and an adjusting sleeve (I did this on my 58 after having the springs rearched +2"). It is a very simple, bolt together affair and makes it much easier to get you steering wheel exactly straight if you're nitpicky about little things like that like I am. The tricky bit is to find tie rod ends that have the correct taper to match your drag link.

Comment

I like the sound of re-arcing my stock springs and the adjustable link. Might be a bit cheaper too. 2" should be just about perfect. I have such a spring shop close by. Stellar advice, thanks Aaron S.

Comment

Seeing how this topic popped up...
                Has anyone run 37 x 13.5 tires. I'm curious how much lift is needed to fit them without any cutting. I have been under the impression that 4" suspension and 2" body would do the trick.

Comment

anything lift wise over stock needs steering correction / weather it be the $50 buck steering block the $100 buck steering or pitman arm / or the $150 buck adjustable drag link

Comment

Any thoughts about rotating the knuckles?

Comment

lift

rough country makes a decent 4 in for pretty cheap. 370 for the whole kit with blocks. 650 with rear spring
                      Last edited by mickydodge1990; 02-18-2011, 01:57 AM. Reason: price

Comment

I shy away from blocks. Here is a link that I've been sitting on. Just waiting on funds. http://dodgelift-kits-direct.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 76WAGON200 View Post
                          I like the sound of re-arcing my stock springs and the adjustable link. Might be a bit cheaper too. 2" should be just about perfect. I have such a spring shop close by. Stellar advice, thanks Aaron S.
                          A word of advice about re-arching:
                          Back in the day, before pre-packaged springs and lift kits, re-arching was the only way to go and the shops doing that work were numerous.

Re-arching, even at the best of shops, seldom works for long and seldom do the springs settle at the same rate, resulting in one side or the other leaning, sagging or worse. I'm not saying that your shop is bad, they might nail it on the first try, I'm just saying, be sure they give you what you want and they give you some form of guarantee (written is best) against sagging. A good shop will tell you, if you want 3" they'll need to go 4-5" to allow for sag.

My first lift took 12 trys to get the correct combination of arching and springs that did not fail, sag, or lean, or compromise ride performance.
                          There are a few companies like National Spring, Eaton and others that will and can build you a custom spring set, but for the money and my Power Wagon, I used Superlift's kit. I'm not certain that they still make the full kit, but if they do, buy it and stay away from spacer blocks, Ranch and Rough Country.
                          Lastly, I could go on for two more pages about steering, bump stops, and pitman arms, but I will just say, that any lift over 2"-3" requires some attention to your steering geometry to maintain ride, performance and safety.

Comment

as for steering correction, skyjacker sells real nice one piece lift steering arms. also, if 2" sounds like a good amount of lift, both superlift and skyjacker sell kits with this height range. they also sell 4 inch kits. prices seem to be lowest at ntwonline.com, thats who i tend to buy from. good luck with your truck!

Comment

Working...
                            X