aggressive tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aggressive tires

-o.k for a stock 84,16" rim, 350 crew, stock suspension.[ which is due for paint this weekend fyi finally.}
    -what is the tallest tire that will fit with minimum rub, alittle is fine'cause I won't be bouncing it very often.
    -while we're at , hows about width?
    -keep in mind this will be a hunting season snow\winter\mud set of tires only and I have 10 perfectly good m\s all season radials mounted, to switch out each spring.
    -a bias ply like bogger might be alittle too much aggressive tho ?
    ---this should open up a whole nuther can o worms..
    -I have run on my R\C's [15"] 33x9.5 BFG Mud terrains with no problem under stock suspension.
    Andyp

tires

I ran dayton timberlines MT on my 74w300minipumper. people always asked "what the heck are those things". handled nicely,drove from Indiana to nj, looked great, never got stuck! Offroaders.com has a tire size guide called "does it hit, or does it fit". the matrix is kinda hard to read at first but the info is all there.
    guide says 31x10.5 for stock.the next entry 32x11.5 calls for (sl) suspension lift or lower case (ft) signifying minor fender trim.
    those #s seem a bit on the small side but that what it says. pretty cool chart

Comment

I'm shedding the 16.5s for some 16s, and putting a 235/85R16 (32x9.25-16) on my crew. The tires I have are in sad shape, and a 16.5 is hard to come by anymore.
      Here is the formula for converting metric tires to standard:

Width * Aspect ratio / 2540 * 2 + rim size = standard inches

So a 235/85R16 is 31.7" x 9.251", and could be called a 32x9.250-16.
      A 265/75R16 is 31.64" x 10.430 and could be called a 32x10.50-16.

It's too bad no one makes a 245/85R16, as that'd be just about a 33x9.50.

Comment

tires

They dont do a 245/85-16 but you could get a 255/85-16. i believe in the new bfg mud-t km2's and the cooper stt mud-t and i have installed a few sets of these on older ford SD without lifts on stock rims at my shop. We always seem to to it on older fords not sure why. Sometimes we have to trim alittle on the front bumper but if you have a ford they make those bumper extension kits. If you have an older dodge 3/4 or 1 T it should work fine with little or no mods. I personaly run a set of the new 35X1250-15 goodyear mtr kevlars. I have run pretty much every tire under the sun on trucks being that i work at a tire shop. these so far have been one of the best tires for offroad use i have EVER ran. the have never left me srtanded. i run an 8 inch wide wheel and at 5 psi of air i never pop a bead in sand or 3 feet of snow. i love them. check out the new general grabber red letters also they work great in snow and sand. The only complaint is on super heavy deisels they dont wear very well. 20 to 30 thousand miles at the most.

Comment

[QUOTE=Andyp;86349...this should open up a whole nuther can o worms...
          Andyp[/QUOTE]

Amen brother - but I'm looking forward to the discourse!

I have yet to find the perfect tire for my CTD: a long running "E" that has good traction off-road and decent behavior onroad that cost less than the truck itself...

Having said that, I LOVE my Power Kings on the B-3 and LOVE the 900X16 on the M880 that look like the old Co-op Grip Spurs but I'd have to go out and read what they actually are.
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
            Amen brother -
            Did I miss the sermon?

Originally posted by Andyp View Post
            -keep in mind this will be a hunting season snow\winter\mud set of tires only and I have 10 perfectly good m\s all season radials mounted, to switch out each spring.
            I would go ultra aggressive. I don't see a reason to compromise traction if they will be used exclusively in the mud / snow. I think if you stay around 33 x 9.5 you will be just fine.

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?g=1
            http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1

Comment

The latest issue of Four Wheeler (I hope that is correct because I just packed it away) had an interesting tire shootout. For mud and dirt.
              They tested 10 tires, from Swamper's, KM2's, MTR's and others.
              The results were very surprising and interesting.

They measured contact patch at several air pressures, weight, diameter, side wall and thread stiffness, etc., etc.
              It was a very comprehensive test, with some very surprising results.

They also noted which tires were imported and which were made in the USA.
              I can tell you that at number 2, and the highest rated US tire, was the Goodyear MTR, with the Swamper and KM2 surprisingly well down the list.

I'll see if I can find an on-line version to link to.

PS,...sorry, I could not find a link to that article, it's too new to be on-line yet.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
                Did I miss the sermon?

I would go ultra aggressive. I don't see a reason to compromise traction if they will be used exclusively in the mud / snow. I think if you stay around 33 x 9.5 you will be just fine.

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?g=1
                http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=8&g=1
                The Interco Narrow SS are what best resemble my M880 tires. Great farm tires.
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Interco tires

I don't think I've seen an interco tire on a truck before. They look sloppy-agressive in the ads, like they were made for trail rigs only, so I never really thought about their highway manners. How are they on the road?

Comment

Surprisingly, the Interco's did not fare very well in the tire shootout I mentioned above. Not even in the top five.
                    I can't remember the highway performance, but longevity on pavement would be my concern.
                    I ran a set of them back in the '70's and they lasted less than 15,000 miles. In fairness, tire compounds and tread design have come a long, long way since then.
                    The tires I do remember from the test, only because I run them now, were the BFG, KM2 which surprisingly was rated in 8th place and the Goodyear MTR, which was rated in 2nd place. An import finished in 1st.

Even more surprisingly, the tire which worked the best in mud, was not the tire that looked the most aggressive, or had the most aggressive thread. The tires that worked the best were the tires that self cleaned their tread the best because of tread design, not tread spacing.

Comment

From their website:

"This is an extremely aggressive design that requires strict attention to air pressure when run on the highway."

I think that translates to: They wear out fast...
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Definitely not my first choice for a highway tire. What I get from the guys in the off road club I belong to is Interco tires are tough as nails off road e.g. Super Swamper TSL Radial. They spend a lot of time on the rocks and ruts and most run very low tire pressure when doing so. Some have the pressure so low that they run bead locks. Other tires that fair better in overall traction come apart in the rough stuff.

2009 article
                        http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...iew/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumJo View Post
                          Definitely not my first choice for a highway tire. What I get from the guys in the off road club I belong to is Interco tires are tough as nails off road e.g. Super Swamper TSL Radial. They spend a lot of time on the rocks and ruts and most run very low tire pressure when doing so. Some have the pressure so low that they run bead locks. Other tires that fair better in overall traction come apart in the rough stuff.

2009 article
                          http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...iew/index.html
                          What surprised me is that they also did "poorly" when compared to the other tires in this mud test, in the article.

Figures that as soon as I sealed up the shipping crate I'd need the dang magazine...ha! ha!

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                            Figures that as soon as I sealed up the shipping crate I'd need the dang magazine...ha! ha!
                            Murphy's law in action.

Comment

Since you have other tires to swap out to, I'd agree with QuantumJo, go for the most aggressive and be done with it.

Size, shape & tread depends on where you live and the consistancy of that on which you tread.
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                              X