Tailgate / MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate / MPG

what is the average MPG savings ( if any ) by running without a tail gate ?

Thanks,

I used an airgate made by a local weld shop on one of my little trucks. It didn't help MPG much, but I thought it looked better than stock, so I used it. I think there's more drag coming off the back of the cab than there is resistance at the tailgate. And the brick shaped front end doesn't help much, either.
    Diesel Power did a test a while back:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/g...ins/index.html

I'm not ready to seal off the front end, but if fuel gets to $4.50...

Comment

Im not completely sure of this but I have heard that sometimes a pickup gets better mileage with the tailgate ON. the theory behind this is that the air in the bed of the truck swirls over itself, creating its own vortex, which the air coming off the roof can just glide over, slipping off above the tailgate. Just food for thought.

Comment

I have heard it so many different ways as to which is best..... no tailgate, open tail gate, closed tailgate, & tonneau cover over bed.

I think slowing down & easier acceleration helps more than the bed configuration.

Get a tune-up. Install a manifold vacuum gauge (gas powered trucks) & drive with the egg-on-gas-pedal attitude.

Bucky

Comment

Mythbusters

says leave tailgate on.

Comment

Mythbusters never lies so leave it up. plus it looks better. and the key to mileage with old trucks is not to be a leadfoot and keep it to a max of 55ish on the freeway. no overdrive.....

Actually thats a good principle for any vehicle. around 70mph the economy starts to take a steep drop, but 55 seems to be the sweet spot.

Comment

This always comes up when fuel prices rise.

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
              I have heard it so many different ways as to which is best..... no tailgate, open tail gate, closed tailgate, & tonneau cover over bed.

I think slowing down & easier acceleration helps more than the bed configuration.

Get a tune-up. Install a manifold vacuum gauge (gas powered trucks) & drive with the egg-on-gas-pedal attitude.

Bucky
              I've been wanting to install a vacuum gauge. I know it can be a diagnostic tool too but whats the rule when driving? Low numbers? Steady reading? With diesel you want the boost to stay low & rise slow & steady when it does.
              1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
              1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
              1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by KRB64 View Post
                This always comes up when fuel prices rise.

I've been wanting to install a vacuum gauge. I know it can be a diagnostic tool too but whats the rule when driving? Low numbers? Steady reading? With diesel you want the boost to stay low & rise slow & steady when it does.
                For economy driving, try to keep vacuum high as possible. When you tromp on the throttle, manifold vacuum drops( hence the need for an accelerator pump on carbed engines).....Vacuum is highest when deccelerating (we'd all get good mileage if we could coast to where we were going).....After initial mashing of the gas, vacuum will slowly rise as RPM's increase.......

Vacuum is low when making power, high when saving gas.

Chrysler cars had optional vacuum gauge on them in 60's. My 67 Chrysler 300 had one on the console ahead of shifter.

Bucky

Comment

Most newer trucks have the cab and tailgate designed so they work best when the gate is up. That is how mythbusters got their results. My '90 F250 got decent highway mileage with a tonneau cover or gate down. If I did any trip with the gate up I could tell the difference,,even feel it. It was like pulling a billboard around. My old '78 power wagon had the same results but I later installed a cap on it and my mileage stayed decent.

Comment

Many Thanks for the info...

Comment

Working...
                    X