No announcement yet.

Runnin like crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well,,I put the fuel pump in the other day between rain showers. After charging the battery and a shot of starting fluid she lit right off, idled like a dream. I let it run for a few minutes then took off. It ran like a cat with kerosene on it for about 10 minutes then started acting up again. I got it home without too much problem before it stalled. It did not want to restart so I parked it again. I'm gonna get to the air compressor and blow the fuel lines out to make sure that isn't the problem. The only other thing I can think of is the ECM acting up when it gets warm.
    Last edited by Gordon Maney; 05-01-2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Makes me think there is still gunk in the tank that settles out when parkeb then gets stirred up when you drive until it finally plugs things up.
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Went out yesterday and the truck started right up, idled great, then it started idling rough and died. It would not restart without a shot of starting fluid. It would run a few minutes then want to die. I did this a few times and needed the juice to restart. I loosened the gas cap and pulled the vent line off the tank with no luck. I'm thinking the fuel line is clogged or collapsing under suction. I am gonna buy a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow after work and try this all over. I dug out my timing light as the high wind and rain started yesterday so that ended my day of tinkering.

Comment

So that tells us that its starved for fuel but getting fire.

Also check the hoses. On the passenger side by the cab corner the line goes to the outside of the frame and makes a 90*, it can crack and suck air if deteriorated.
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Gonna check the fuel situation probably today. I didn't get much sleep at work so I'll need a nap later.

Comment

You an air traffic controller?
              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I don't get paid that well. I do get to sleep and watch movies at work when I'm not doing anything else. I do have less stress than an ATC,,,,,I think.

Comment

So what kind of job lets you sleep and watch movies???
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I'm a full time medic. I work 24 on and 48 off but because I'm a lieutenant it ends up being much more. I usually get in 60 hours on a short week then every third week it is closer to 85.

Comment

Electronic ignition??
                      Check the magnetic pick up in your
                      distributor. Have your battery load
                      tested too.
                      John

Comment

I see, now I understand.
                        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I had a similar issue with a diesel truck once that turned out to be a cap liner that would float around inside the tank until it found the suction line to the tank and plug it off. The engine dies, then when the cap liner falls off and floats away, the engine starts and runs fine again. It was hellishly hard to find too.

Try running your fuel system from a jerry can secured under the hood and if the problem goes away, pull the level switch out of your tank and have a real good look in there for junk. Some previous owner may have dumped fuel line antifreeze in there a time or two and neglected to pull the cap liner off the bottle before he stuck it in the filler neck. It could be anything like that if not the fuel lines themselves. I don't know how much flex line you have in your system but whatever there is can swell from a mixture of the wrong fluids passing through them or just age. Maybe a rock bounced off your steel tubing lines and pinched it off enough to cause it to starve over a period of time. Take a good look at your fuel lines and if there is any doubt, try running a new set of lines with a good fuel compatible rubber material. It is cheap and quick to do, specially with the box off as it appears you have.

Good luck!

Comment

You may also want to feed your fuel pump from a container other than your gas tank. Run a fuel line from a gas can to the in-side of your fuel pump see if that helps. If it runs better for you then the problem is from your tank to the pump. If it still runs like crap and you are convinced that it is a fuel issue then it is likely your pump / carb.

Comment

After rebuilding my porch roof I finally got a chance to mess with the Dodge for a few minutes without irritating the wife. I took the fuel hose off of the filter from the tank, very little fuel came out. I blew some air into the line and could hear it in the tank after a few seconds. I could hear air coming from the tank vent on top also. The fuel really started flowing then. I think the tank is carrying some junk in it from sitting for 2 years. By me putting a full tank of fuel in then bouncing down the highway for 2 days broke the crap loose and it is causing problems. I replaced some of the rubber fuel line pieces in the setup also. They weren't terrible but they were looking dry and why not while I'm there. The steel sections still looked very good. I have the flatbed just sitting on the back of her now because I needed my Mack to haul some lumber for the roof! I am planning on draining the few gallons of gas left and dropping the tank for a good cleaning. It is nice being able to do this with access to the top of everything,,downside is doing it outside. I miss my building. :(

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Crew caught me at my best. This was actually after my shift. I had about 3 total hours of sleep and was waiying on another crew to come back from a call.

Comment

Working...
                                X