Power steering conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering conversion

I have been working on a 75 crew cab lately. One of the requests was to install power steering on the this truck. I swapped the manual box for a 1990 PS box and got a pump from a later model. With new hoses and an adapter for mixed fittings I am here to say it was a complete success. Once I got the ps fluid flowing through everything I had one finger steering at the wheel. This is a very easy swap and would recommend it to anyone who has a manual box on their truck.

This truck has been sitting for sometime so I've been running it from a small remote gas tank. With the new steering and brakes I'm ready for a road test. Unfortunately the gas had gone bad plugging the pick up tube. I removed the pick /sending unit to pump out the old stale gas. The tube was plugged completely and the float has a hole in it. So now to find a new sending unit/ pick tube. I will also replace all the rubber gas lines as they are all hardened and some are cracked.

sending unit?

in cab or belly tank. I have a sending unit for an in cab tank

Comment

It a plastic under bed tank. The old gas was really bad. I got it all pumped out with my 12 volt dc transfer pump after trying a hand suction type. Good thing to since there was about 8 gallon of gas in the tank. It does make a good bonfire starter though. FOOOOMMM!!!! Bwahahaha

Comment

Was your'e original box reverse rotation ie. the arm swang front to rear rather than left to right.I know both my 73 and 78 both are.Did the new box bolt to the original cast bracket or did you change the bracket out as well?How about your steering column,did it have to be shortened and how did you do it? Details....your missing them.

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
          There's a guy in the parts thread looking for one.
          1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
          1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
          1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by Madbodhi View Post
            Was your'e original box reverse rotation ie. the arm swang front to rear rather than left to right.I know both my 73 and 78 both are.Did the new box bolt to the original cast bracket or did you change the bracket out as well?How about your steering column,did it have to be shortened and how did you do it? Details....your missing them.
            This is a reverse rotation box. The PS box has the same cast bracket so I removed the bracket from the donor box rather than take out the frame bolts. The manual box is shorter but has a longer input shaft. The PS box bolts right to the steering column at the rag joint connection so no need to change the column. As I said it's a very easy install. The only hitch was connecting the high pressure hose to the pump. The 75 hose is a double flair fitting but the pump I used has a crimp with an O ring. Napa had an adapter fitting which is a short length of pipe with both male ends. I used a brass coupler to join them after cutting off the end of the new hose and double flairing it. This was necessary because of the bends in the pipe. Depending on what year pump you find this may not be necessary. Evidently the factory changed this at some point.

Comment

I need your in-cab sending unit!!! i have a 72 with an in-cab that the electricals are shot. If you are willing to sell it please email me at markdbulger@yahoo.com.

Comment

2x1972

my apologies for posting in a misleading way. Ron is restoring the 75 crew cab for me . I wasn't offering sending unit for sale. On the bright side there is a sending unit rebuilder out by cleveland who has done some fine work for me, rebuilding a 89 ramcharger sending unit and an 80 RC sending unit. I sent the rebuilder a box of rusty tubes ,broken wires and deteriorated plastic, he sent back 2 fine looking sending units. if your only having wiring problems i'm sure he could fix you up. I'll look for his address.

did crew cabs come with in cab tanks?
                you all know where I'm going with this dont ya?
                dual tank longdistance cruiser

Comment

sending unit s.u.r.&r

s.u.r&r akron ohio

Comment

Ron

lets have s.u.r&r rebuild the sender, if you cant find a new one.
                    48 hour turn around time.

One finger steering even with the grippy tires? yahoo!!

Comment

Andrew that sounds like a plan. This one needs a new float and screen but don't know about the sending unit itself. Email or post the address and I will send it off. I searched online and didn't find any available. In cab tanks are not a good thing that's why they took them out of the cab.

Comment

shiney paintjob

bass boat silver
                        Attached Files

Comment

Fuelsender.com

www.fuelsender.com
                          stuff the whole thing in a box . let them worry about it. I'll call them in the morning and let them know its on its way. . I dont want to be bothered with a fuel sender problem after she is all fixed up nice. I'm excited about the paint scheme you have chosen. how about a sneak peak preview
                          How much crud was in the tank?i acetoned the plastic ramcharger tank with nuts and bolts. soak shake shake shake dump into babypool. repeat 3 times with fresh acetone. The acetone evaporated from the new babypool and you wouldnt believe laquer type residue it left behind.

Comment

[QUOTE It does make a good bonfire starter though. FOOOOMMM!!!! Bwahahaha[/QUOTE]

How do you make a cat sound like a dog? Gasoline and a match,,,,,,WOOOFF!

Comment

lets have s.u.r&r rebuild the sender, if you cant find a new one.
                              48 hour turn around time.
                              Let us know what it costs. ebay finds are $75-125 and few & far between.
                              1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
                              1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
                              1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
                              2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                              X