Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust in tires

Hi guys,

I had new tires put on steel rims and I noticed quite a bit of rust in the old ones when I get them back. the rust weighs out at 270 GR in one of the tires
    ( just over 1/2 OZ ) Is this normal ? something to be conserned about ?

Many Thanks,

Agood cleaning and a coat of paint before remounting the tires would be in order. If you see deep pitting in those areas, or other indication of extreme metal loss, you may want to replace the wheels.

C.D.
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

it just means that somewere in its life water got into the tire [gone flat on the bottom ] and then blown back up and used / l,d clean the rims up and repaint

Comment

Something like Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator would be good or Por-15 since it would never see the sun anyway.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Originally posted by n1265 View Post
          Hi guys,

I had new tires put on steel rims and I noticed quite a bit of rust in the old ones when I get them back. the rust weighs out at 270 GR in one of the tires
          ( just over 1/2 OZ ) Is this normal ? something to be conserned about ?

Many Thanks,
          It is normal in "air" filled tires.

This is just one of the reasons to run nitrogen instead of "air". Ambient air has water molecules included. When the air gets hot (after a long day of running the interstate or because of under-inflation) it condenses and the cooling condensation creates water vapor inside your wheels. That is where the oxidation comes from. Not normally from outside sources.
          It's the reason you have a water vapor filter, or drier, on an "air" compressor.

Nitrogen is dry and does not contain a water molecule and as such is less prone to pressure fluctuations due to heat build up.

Comment

Many Thanks,

Comment

Working...
            X