brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake question

what size socket(big) do i need to get the front rotor off my 77 w200 so i can change out my rotor and could someone tell me which size rotor will fit a m880 3/4 ton with a gross vehicle weight of 8000 lbs as the parts stores have 2 options 1.(3500 lb) or 2.(4500 lb) axle and all my door panel tag gives is 8000 lb gross vehicle weight. i believe it will probably take the heavier duty rotor being it is a military model but could be wrong.

thank you
    alan

Hmmm. Well its the DANA 44 if that helps any. Not sure of the weight nor the socket but I can check socket size later if somebody else doesn't chime in before.
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

brake question

i know it is bigger than a 36mm which is the largest socket i have even though i am sure it is not a metric measurement. it looks like about 1 3/4 or possibly 1 7/8. i know the socket size is bigger than anything i have though.

thanks
      alan

Comment

The Dana 44 is the 3500
        The Dana 60 is the 4500

M880 used the Dana 44 as KRB64 stated

M880 is rated by the military at 5/4 ton, but for all basic purposes when getting parts its considered same as 3/4 W200. In other words get the lighter rotor.

1/2 tons used the same front axle, but were 5 lug wheels.

Bucky

Comment

I don't know the size for the axle nut off hand but it is SAE not metric. You won't get the rotor off without removing the 6 bolts you access through a hole in the rotor. These are removed to get the bearing retainer off the hub. Once you do get them out with a 12 point 3/8" socket and have hub and rotor in hand you have to remove the hub with a press to get the rotor off the hub. REMOVE the grease zerk first before pressing anything or you'll break off the zerk. Get a new seal for the hub which will you'll find when you press off the hub. These D 44 rotors are hard to find sometimes. Mine came to Indiana from the Napa distribution in Iowa. Go to Napa online.com to see a picture of the rotor you need. D 60's are different D44 rotors. This all assuming you have a full time axle of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
            Once you do get them out with a 12 point 3/8" socket and have hub and rotor in hand you have to remove the hub with a press to get the rotor off the hub ... This all assuming you have a full time axle of course.
            Good point. And thats a thin wall, deep well 3/8". I forgot to measure the axle nut, sorry...
            1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
            1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
            1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
            2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

very good reading / link below

http://ramchargercentral.com/article...ifferential/67

Comment

brake question

thanks guys for all the helpful info on the brakes. the axle nut socket is a 1 5/8 by the way. it looks like i am having the same issues with the rotor as other forum users as my caliper is the main reason for the rotor being toast as i have read on here about the caliper problems and sounds real familiar.

thank all of you for your help.
                alan

Comment

Alan I'll go out on a limb here for the rest of the guys and say you're welcome. I just passed along what I've encountered recently on the same issue. One more thing as you get into this job, replace the hose to the caliper while you're at it. Cheap insurance and you're going to bleed everything anyways. These hose don't last forever. We're all in this together so helping others is all part of of it. No need to reinvent the wheel when someone has been there and done that. There are no dumb questions either, knowledge is power and sometimes saves money as well as aggravation. Keep us in the loop on how it turns out. Don't forget to remove the grease zerk, I know from experience trust me.

Comment

Working...
                  X