carb vs fuel inj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb vs fuel inj

Has anyone had any experience installing a carbed motor in a 91 era injected dodge truck? My 318 is about shot and I have a good HP 440 laying around and an adapter to hook it to the OD tranny. Just would like everything to work as it should as far as gauges and electrics.

Does your state have emissions testing or vehicle inspections? That could be a factor in feasibilty of such a swap.

Wiring would be the biggy on the headache factor.

Bucky

Comment

No testing or inspections as of yet.
      Yes the wiring, by-passing the throttle body and associated sensors is my main concern.

Comment

I would think all of the gauges should work because everything is still analog. The only exception may be the speedo, if its electronic you may have to splice its feed wire into the output from the VSS instead of relying on the output from the computer.
        You would need to make sure you transferred all the senders over to the replacement motor and moved the wires around accordingly. I would recommend removing the ECU/PCM/ECM/Whatever they call it on your rig and also removing the fuses/relays powering it. Everything else should still function as normal. You should be able to draw through the electric pump in the tank with a mechanical pump, but if not then you will have to remove the pump and put a piece of bypass hose in there. You could try to do a pressure regulator, but generally they dont like to operate with that much supply pressure vs a very low output for carbed engines (35ish in and only 5 out).
        Obviously you are going to have to modify motor/trans mounts.

Comment

You're going to need a decent set of wiring diagrams to determine if it's possible. It's early enough it could be but the sensor inputs could be the least of your concerns.

Is it an automatic trans? If it is computer controlled it's going to have a fit when it can't find the sensor data it's looking for. If if it's just a computer controlled OD and lockup you might be able to trick it or get an aftermarket control unit.

Dodge started moving other controls to the computer as well. On my car of the same era the voltage regulator for the alternator is built into the computer module. So you would need to wire in a new voltage regulator if you remove the computer.

It could also disable the airbag system if you have one since it wouldn't see the right info either.

A factory wiring diagram should be able to tell you what is controlled by what and what signals other modules expect to see to help determine what wires to cut/bypass and what is affected.

What kind of fuel injection does the 318 have? It might be easier (though probably not cheaper) to consider trying to use the original fuel injection system and re-program it to work with the 440.

Comment

please read the link

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle...08/#msg1673908

Comment

Working...
            X