Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1977 PowerWagon Need new motor questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 PowerWagon Need new motor questions?

My 1977 318cid motor just died. What information do I need to replace the motor? Like if I found a 440cid what would I need to know to be sure it would work in my truck? Accessory attachments, transmission connections, electrical, etc?

I hate to ask such a broad question but I really do not know where to begin.

thanks in advance for your help!

If its an automatic you need to get different transmission, one with bellhousing for big-block. Same thing with 4-speed, except the bell itself is detachable so you don't have to switch whole transmission.

Hoses for radiator may/may not be on the same side as 318, not sure.

If you get a 440, get all the attaching stuff with it. PS pump, A/C compressor. Also try to get one from a truck, car 440's use different oil pan, manifolds, etc.

I love 440's but it'd be much less headache to keep yours a 318.

My $.02

And yes this is the right place to ask questions. Others here will have good advice & knowledge to guide you through this.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks that does help. I will just stay with a 318 as I need to keep it as simple as possible.

I have a E - LA 318-1 V8 2V engine. Any ideas on where to find a replacement motor? I checked ebay and there are quite a few sellers. I would like to find a used one locally if possible.

I live in a little town called Zephyr TX, right outside of Brownwood TX. Anybody familiar with this area?

Comment

You will also need big block engine mounts.

What died, it may be fixable for less $$ than an engine swap.
        If you do swap, a 360 that will help you out in the get up and go department with out the headache of converting to a big block.

Comment

I may be parting out a truck (79 W200) here in WF with a 318.

That was a very common engine, simple to work on. I'd suggest a long block & doing the install your self, unless you find a used motor that you KNOW its condition.

Bucky

Comment

318 convert

I'm a former 360 snob. but the 318 motor has won me over with its ability to shrug off neglect. I dont know if its more tolerent of poor maintainence by design, or I'm just lucky so far. the 318 M880 never fails to start and run , no matter how long I let it sit in the woods. the 360 equipped trucks always need some finessing/tweaking to get running after sitting for a while.

Comment

i agree with 74w300. i have a monster of a 72 w200 sittin on 39's with a 318 in it that has about 10 million miles on it, and it always starts as soon as the fuel hits the carb, with no complaints. makes plenty of torque, and is all around a whole lot of fun. even with all that truck to drag around it puts a smile on my face :)

have you checked your local craigslist? i know that where im from, seattle area, there are always sb mopar motors for sale on CL for pennies. the best part is craigslist goes by region

Comment

Some things to keep in mind if you decide to throw a 360 in place of the 318. Yes the existing transmission will bolt right to it. Everything will still fit the same as it did on the 318, same basic engine. You do need to make sure you get the correct flywhewl/torque converter for your application though. The 318 is internally balance, means there is enough weight on the counterweights of the crankshaft to completely balance the engine. The 360 is externally balanced, meaning there is NOT enough weight on the counterweights to completely balance the engine. The flywheel/torque converter finish the job. What this means is that if you put a 360 flywheel/torque converter on a 318, or a 318 flywheel/torque converter on a 360 you are going to have some serious vibration problems and will damage the engine very quickly. There are some 360s that are internally balanced, but I think they were mostly industrial engines. Not exactly sure how to tell the difference between them, so for safety's sake get the matching setup that went with that particular engine.

Comment

A couple of other notes on a 360 swap. The 360 also uses a different harmonic balancer than the 318. The 360 also uses a different oil pan than the 318. I've put a lot of miles on both and the 318 gets my vote. The 360 is a good engine, just a gas hog.

Comment

Working...
                  X