Need help before I lose my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help before I lose my mind

When I started tearing my '76 W200 apart I knew I would have trouble finding certain parts but I was confident the suspension would be one of the easy parts to find. I have had nothing but grief so far. After almost a year of searching for the right springs and bushings I still have two issues to resolve;

1) The frame mounted bushings for the shackles on the rear of the front spring. I pushed the old, cracked ones out and now I can't find new ones the correct size. My spring guy sent me what he believes are the correct bushings that measure 1.024" od but I measure .895" on the inside of the bushing bore. There is no way I am getting that sucker in there without boring the hole bigger. There has to be a smaller one out there but where would i find it when none of my parts sources have the slightest idea where to look. I found what is supposed to be the correct part in my parts manual (2953 700) but it doesn't say what size it is. Napa doesn't recognize the part number but i did find it on moparonlineparts.com so there is hope, providing this is the right dimension. If this avenue of investigation does not work out, i am all out of ideas on where to look. Anyone have a secret stash of these they would part with two? Please??

2) With the lift kit came a steering block and that required pulling off the steering arm. In the process I destroyed two of the three split cone retainers on the studs. I looked these up in the parts manual as well and came up with what may be the right part number but they call them "adapters", not retainers. I punch in the part number at moparonlineparts.com and they call it a "seal front axle strg". Anyone have any idea where to find these? I won't waste my time walking into Napa or even my local Dodge dealer looking for this. They have been about as helpful as pockets in your underwear.

You are my last hope of ever getting this thing past the first stage of rebuild. I am seriously considering selling the whole pile of parts and donor truck and buying one already built. Not as much fun but not as much headache either. I don't have the time to be doing this in the first place but when I do, it would be nice to have better access to the right parts. I can't believe how hard it is to find parts for this old girl up here. No wonder you don't see many of them on the road any more.....

www.ramchargercentral.com & www.pirate4x4.com may have someone who could help with your problems. I am not aware of what companies have the parts you need.

Bucky

Comment

No worries fella's, i have it figured. I gave Dodge a call and they say they have my parts. I seriously doubted they would but sometimes they surprise you. We shall see if they are the right parts when they show up.

Comment

The spring guy did indeed give you the correct bushings. You have to realize that the spring eye is made of the same material as the spring is. This means that as you push the bushing into the eye, the opening will swell open a bit. This gives you a nice snug fit. 1/8" is not really that much, and the metal housing will crush in a bit to fit nice and tight into the spring eye. I would be willing to bet the dealer will give you the same part that you already got from the spring eye.
        And yes, Napa lists the bushings for your rig; Part #: NCP 2746474 Product Line: NAPA Chassis Parts.
        As far as the split washers for the strong arm, Napa doesnt list them, I searched and searched for a set for my Hi-steer setup when I did an axle swap and spring over lift on my YJ. I ended up just going to a junkyard and getting a set from a rig with a D44. It doesnt matter make, Chev, Ford and Mopar used the same washers for the strong arm.

Comment

like the "freak" said above the CONE washers can be had from GM for cheap

l bet you HAD fun getting them out / l,m laughing my friggin arse off at that one / it would be easier to rob a bank and get shot do,in it

Comment

Well, I have a bit of egg on my face for sure. Once I had a look at the new bushings I realized that they had a metal shell. Once I returned home and looked closer at the bore I realized the shell was still in the bore. Once I drove them out, lo and behold the new bushings fit just fine. Wow. That was dumb. The split rings were the right ones thank goodness so that is one issue I have managed to resolve.

The only other issue I have is the spacer blocks that were supplied with the rear lift kit. The diff perches are shorter than the blocks and they hang off about an inch on each end. They will support the springs ok but the perches are only supporting 2/3 of the block. Is that normal in a block lift? The original blocks with the bump stop brackets on them are the same size as the perch. Any info would be appreciated.

Dodgeboys, I am glad I could give you a chuckle. I had to drill and blast to get those suckers out and now i think i may need to shave 5/16" off the spacer to allow the nut to thread in past the lock portion of the nut. It never ends!

Comment

Before you install the factory bushings I should tell you that Energy makes those in polyurethane.I found this out AFTER I replaced the ones in my W200.

Comment

Poly Performance a Vendor or RCC also sells them

Comment

Working...
                X