D60 Gear Lube...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D60 Gear Lube...

I have a 72 W200 with a D60 in the rear that has a limited slip differential which needs new gear lube. Stuck my finger in the fill hole and came out with what looked like chocolate mousse. Do not know what caused this, it did not have the light color you would expect from water contamination, it is stored inside and was okay last year. The manual states the 9 3/4" ring gear D60 and D60HD, which this is, should not use GL-5 gear lube with additive, but should use "MOPAR sure-grip lubricant." I have checked with two Dodge dealers, an oil distributor, as well as the local NAPA and CarQuest stores, no one seems to know what lube this is. Any ideas?

I've got a 72 w200 as well. No LSD though.

Check the LSD unit to see what it is. If its a Sure grip, use Sure grip lube. if its something else aftermarket, look up the info online and use whatever is directed.

Comment

My '92 is factory limited slip. I put synthetic 90w and then the addative from NAPA for the clutches. Not sure how much difference 20 years makes though...
      1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
      1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
      1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Will be pulling off the diff cover tomorrow to drain and clean the inside of the axle, so will be able to get a good look at the tag then. I do not remember now what it says, but it is definitely a factory limited slip. This truck was built for the army under a short contract for ambulances and has some interesting specs.

Comment

72 still has the divorced case doesn't it? I'd like to find a limited slip for my '76.

Is that goo in your wheel bearings too or just in the diff?
          2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Yes, '72 does still have a divorced transfer case. This truck is almost functionally identical to the sweptline trucks, just has different sheetmetal. It has the 318, NP435, divorced NP205, Dana 60HD rear and Dana 70 front. It also has manual steering, vacuum assisted brakes and a factory mounted, PTO driven, Braden winch.

I checked the bearings last year and they were clear from any leakage of axle lube, but the axle lube looked normal also. Would definitely be a good thing to check, had not thought of that.

Comment

My '72 W200 D60 had(has) a TracLok.Apparently the Fire Co. ordered it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by pwrwgnBrian View Post
                Yes, '72 does still have a divorced transfer case. This truck is almost functionally identical to the sweptline trucks, just has different sheetmetal. It has the 318, NP435, divorced NP205, Dana 60HD rear and Dana 70 front. It also has manual steering, vacuum assisted brakes and a factory mounted, PTO driven, Braden winch.

I checked the bearings last year and they were clear from any leakage of axle lube, but the axle lube looked normal also. Would definitely be a good thing to check, had not thought of that.
                My 72 that I had was almost identical, except mine was auto. I sold the Dana 70 front & the 318, kept the NP205, Braden LU-2 winch & manual steering box. All are on my 78 W200 now.

I don't think any of the dozens of Dodge Dana 60 rears that I have owned had any kind of limited slip or locking traction device:(

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
                  I don't think any of the dozens of Dodge Dana 60 rears that I have owned had any kind of limited slip or locking traction device:(

Bucky
                  I can't imagine how unstopable one of these with a limited slip D60 would be!
                  2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

I have not had time to check out the axle of the W200 yet, the weather has been too nice to not take advantage of it to get some outdoor projects done before winter. Will report back with what is found out as soon as I get a chance to get back to the truck.

Comment

No idea of the pub date. Possibly 1984? See page 1.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5315-3.pdf
                      2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

KRB64 - Thank you, some interesting information, it seems they specified to use whatever lube the vehicle manufacturer required as each company had their own specifications.

Comment

Working...
                        X