74 w200 wiring/starting/running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 74 w200 wiring/starting/running

hi guys -- some help appreciated if possible - My 74 with 360 (ca 90k) & 727 trans ran OK then died a while ago. Replaced the distributor internals -reluctor etc. Then decided the worn (ca .010 play) distributor shaft called for replacement. I've done the usual elimination & replacements and checks including new control module etc - finally decided to go back to points system as in 1971. This truck now has new plugs,wires,coil, cap etc. with the new (rebuilt) points dist. Timing set for # 1 TDC for rotor location & firing order - all correct. Still no start & run - it tries to catch briefly then zip - same problem as before all my efforts to fix.

Cranking on the rebuilt starter is a bit strange with initial fast cranking then slow down to near stop when it then catches - it always did this when it ran normally a year ago. I suspected some kind of ring gear problem. The starter while cranking shows a voltage measured at the battery which only drops a volt or so - the manual says anything above 9 volts while cranking is fine. I've tried jumping to the coil + bypassing the ballast resistor since with the ign key in run position the voltage at the lower ballast posts is over two volts lower than battery - it should be 12v I think. To the chase - what could cause the lower voltage at the ballast resister? (both red wires come from the 6-way splice) I've spent much time with the wiring diagrams & have traced everything so I believe I have the correct wiring hooked up. Short of tearing everything out & re-wiring from scratch, what is your advice? Could it still be the starter, although it cranks & doesn't show too much voltage drop? Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks and all the best,

-- ken

So, have you verified that you're getting fuel and the plugs are firing? What about the timing?
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

thanks --

thanks KRB64 -- yes I'd checked all the spark issues - timing I'll re-check - and it has been a while since I'd checked the mechanical fuel pump output. Carb can flood so I've assumed fuel pressure was OK. Other vehicles when I've had a fuel pump go out - it still fires and runs for some seconds on ether spray into the carb. This just fires - say one or two times spark - then dies. Also, do you have any idea on the cranking characteristics I mentioned? It cranks fast initially, then slows to near stop - then (used to) fires up and runs normally. I put a complete rebuilt starter & solenoid - & relay in a few years ago. Still does the same thing - although I thought the starting seemed at least a bit better. Do you recommend an electric fuel pump? - block off the mechanical? is there a plate available? - maybe go through the pump at first, but probably shouldn't be a permanent solution - since I've read that a ruptured mechanical diaphram would then allow fuel directly into the crankcase - not such a good idea, eh? Thanks again, & I'll look forward to any further thoughts you have on this. All the best,

-- ken

Comment

Originally posted by KenP View Post
        Also, do you have any idea on the cranking characteristics I mentioned? It cranks fast initially, then slows to near stop - then (used to) fires up and runs normally.
        -- ken
        That description is what made me think timing but if it would start and run before while doing that then that can't be it.

I'm not a big fan of electric pumps, They have to be just right to work just right (correct pressure, correct placement from tank & carb etc).

I'll need to ponder your situation some more...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

How much play is in the timing chain?

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
            How much play is in the timing chain?

Bucky
            I was wondering the same thing. As for the starter, are your cables in good shape? No quickie clamp on ends ? Bad connections rob a lot of juice.

Comment

Sounds like a compression leak down also,,spins easy for a while then slows and fires normally,,sounds like it needs to build compression up.

Comment

Good thing to check anyway. Let us know.
                2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
                X