No announcement yet.

diagnosing oil pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this isn't the intent of the thread but yall have touched on an issue I'm constantly battling with.

I, like most, am now more cash strapped than ever. And spare time is no more abundant either. When confronted with a problem I debate doing it "right" or "just enough" to be suitable and affordable with the time I have. Problem is, sometimes you never know if it was sufficient until after the job is done or even years down the road.

Classic example is my '90 Corolla: one dead cylinder. I assumed it was a bad head gasket so I had the head redone but once back on it was still no compression. Wasted money & time. So do I spend a grand or so on a total rebuild? No more 4AFE create motors exist so thats out. Do I take a chance on a junk yard motor? Finances said junk yard motor. So I traded two Corolla parts cars for a junk yard motor. Prior to dropping it in I invested in that unknown motor a new timing belt, water pump etc since that was easier done out than in. For the past 800 miles that motor has been great. But the one thing I didn't change out, the thermostat, turned out to be stuck open... Turns out that this time it worked out but I was taking a big chance - not one I wanted but one that time and money forced me to.

Sorry Buckspa to divert a little but we're debating an issue that I think we all constantly have to calculate given our personal circumstance. Not JUST money and time but knowledge/skill level, available tools & facilities, weather, etc all have a role in the final decision making.

Man I just typed more on an off topic than I did in all my other posts put together, I offer my apologies.
    1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
    1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
    1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
    2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Well said KRB...

all vehicles run on used parts and when faced with the reality of trying to keep it running and have fun with it a lot of diagnosis and a little labor and money makes great sense.
      I bought my first Town Wagon (318) from a dealer that hadn't worked on the engine yet. It knocked and skipped something terrible, got a real good price for it, took it to the shop cleaned the oil pan and pickup, screwed down one loose rocker arm adjuster and changed the plugs. Ran like a watch. Salesman saw me a few weeks later and he asked what I did to it, I felt sorry for him and told him it was just a valve job and and I was real happy. We both went away happy. Two years later I rebuilt and dropped a 383 in it's place.
      DrPepper

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
        all vehicles run on used parts...
        Now thats something I never considered but is profoundly true.
        1951 B-3 Delux Cab, Braden Winch, 9.00 Power Kings
        1976 M880, power steering, 7.50x16's, flat bed, lots of rust & dents
        1992 W250 CTD, too many mods to list...
        2005 Jeep KJ CRD

Comment

Working...
        X