1972 Dodge motor home chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1972 Dodge motor home chassis

I've come across a 72 motor home chassis for sale. It has a 413 with an automatic and a 158" wheel base. I don't know anything about a 413 other than it's a big block. Is there anything I should be aware of with this engine. It's supposed to run and is low mileage, the motor home is gone with only the floor left. I'm looking... dreaming, of a future project which would involve a 57 COE and an '01 dually bed. Any thoughts?

big block Mopars have a lot of parts available...

I just sold the 440 that was in my 57 TW-PW because it just didn't fit the 57 frame or I would have kept it. Years ago I put a 383 in a TW 2wd, regeared it with 2:94 and made the NP435 1st gear usable and 4th an over drive. It would do 100mph anytime I wanted. They are a work horse engine and if the bearings and rings are good (the usual stuff) they are a great engine. Easy to work on, oil filter is on the front left, distributor where you can get to it, a 4bbl Carter (Edelbrock) 650cfm will scare you with torque. Don't put a high rpm cam in it, torque is your friend with the 413. There is a pad on the top of the block to the left (driver side) of the water outlet. The displacement and a letter code will be stamped there. I don't have the codes, but that will confirm the year (letter code) and displacement of the engine. There are parts that will and won't swap between blocks, i.e., 383 exhaust manifolds are the same as a 440 or 426 but won't fit a 413, just an example. These engines are wide...watch and measure where it is going and make sure it all fits. Is the 72 before Unleaded gas??? I don't remember, valve seats will be a project if you plan to drive it far.
    That is all I can think of now. I loved the ones I had and would still have one but it just won't fit.
    Hope this helped...
    DrPepper

Comment

The motor home 413 is different than the passenger car 413. Mainly different heads/exhaust manifolds/water pump. It may have gear drive & reverse rotation camshaft. Other differences may be present.

Parts not as easy to come by as with regular big blocks. Truck 413 & 361's were odd ducks, low RPM torque machines.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        The motor home 413 is different than the passenger car 413....
        Thats good information, I wasn't aware of the differences. A friend of mine also has a motor home for sale with a 413. I often thought of buying it just to have a 413 to add to the collection of Mopar big blocks in my garage.

Comment

I had a 71 motor home with a 413-3. Torque monster, 7.5:1 comp ratio, I had converted this to 4X4 and ran it on the beach, loaded to the max in soft sand, never skipped a beat, in fact we sold it to friends years some years ago and they are still running it on the beach, has never done a thing to it either I was told.

Comment

It's a great engine. Buy it.
            Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Working...
            X