dana 70 front won't move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dana 70 front won't move

drums frozen? trying to move a 74w300 that has sat 3 years. rear tires spin freely. fronts won't budge. any and all ideas welcome. remember im not a seasoned mechanic. dont overlook the obvious, because it may not be obvious to me.

I take it this is a disc brake front. Will the rotors move at all? What happens when you disconnect the front driveshaft and try to turn the pinion?

If the differential is stuck somehow you will still be able to get some rotor movement. First see if the rotors will move, then report back.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Gordon, I suspect its DRUM brakes. That's what all the 74's I have seen had, at least with the big 70.

But I'd do the same thing you recommended.

Bucky

Comment

Righto. OK, if it's a drum brake assembly, the brakes are frozen.

If you truly can't get anything to move, disconnect or cut the brake lines, remove the fasteners holding the wheel cylinders to the backing plates, and cut the heads off the nails holding the shoes to the backing plates.

That way you might at least save the drums, which are rare drums.

Comment

starwheels are my friend

dana 70 drums . tapped with hammer, roll star wheel,bang with hammer, roll star wheel, hammer again, star wheel is rolling easily. drivers side wheel is moving free. yipee!!! thanks everyone. passenger side may not be as simple.
          the rubber plug that covers the starwheel is missing and starwheel looks corroded

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
            dana 70 drums . tapped with hammer, roll star wheel,bang with hammer, roll star wheel, hammer again, star wheel is rolling easily. drivers side wheel is moving free. yipee!!! thanks everyone. passenger side may not be as simple.
            the rubber plug that covers the starwheel is missing and starwheel looks corroded
            If you have to, after doing what I said — removing wheel cylinder bolts, brake line, and cutting hail heads — you can slide all that off [....assuming you removed the wheel bearing adjusting nut], drum, shoes, and all.

Comment

too advanced Gordon

what you're describing is way beyond my skillset. of the six components you mentioned i could only pick 1 out of a line up. but who knows, 8 years ago I couldnt drive a stick shift!!

Comment

Just keep doing what worked on the other side. Even if starwheel doesnt turn, tapping with hammer should separate drum from shoes..... but not always.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                  what you're describing is way beyond my skillset. of the six components you mentioned i could only pick 1 out of a line up. but who knows, 8 years ago I couldnt drive a stick shift!!
                  It's all within your skillset, you just think it's not. We might have to talk you through it. Getting the one drum off to see what is inside would help a great deal. Hang in there.....

Comment

If you think its the star wheel frozen try spraying some pb blaster(penetrating oil) let it soak a day or so and try tap it again

Comment

Spray with your preferred brand of panther pi$$,leave the wheel and tire on,jack up so tire dangles.Then use a spud bar on the wheel studs with the hub as a fulcrum to GENTLY work the wheel forth and back.

Comment

Working...
                      X